It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

amleht wrote:
hi! am new to this forum, i have a question regarding the thermaltake usb dock for internal hd. i recently added a 2tb wd caviar green (WD20EADS) to my ex485, i thought it was added with no problem. but the ff day i started having a problem getting to the server console and rdp. after reading this thread, i removed the hd that i just added and everything started to work well on my ex485 again. i tried docking the wd 2td caviar green to the thermaltake usb dock and when win7 tried to install the driver for the hd, i got an error installing the driver. i looked at the device manager and in the usb devices the hd have a code 10 error. did i miss something? does this really happen if you remove a drive from the server and put it in the usb dock? i already send the drive for replacement thinking it was defective since the server started acting up after adding it and the unsuccessful usb access through the dock. am getting the replacement soon and would like to know if i am doing something wrong. thanks in advance for your help.

At times using an external HDD dock, the drive would not show up under my "computers". In order to see the drive or test it I had to add it to the computer by clicking the windows icon, right click on "computer" and left click on "manage".

When the computer managment screen opens up then click on disk management in the left panel. You will see a list of drives installed on your computer and if you scroll down you will see the disk you have installed in the external dock. It may have a statement that the disk is unknown and not initialized. If you right click on it then a screen will pop up telling you that you must initialize it and use the MBR (Master Boot Record) selection.

It has been a while since I have done this and it may ask you what type of drive you have and the response is "Simple", "Basic" and "NTFS file system". It may then reformat the drive and any data will be lost. Then you can run CHKDSK /r to look for bad sectors or run Seatools to check the drive for issues. If it fails you know to send it back for warranty repair.

Drives are usually not recognized when they are new or have come back from repair where they are wiped clean or simply just BAD. I have gotten to the point where I test drives before I install them in my server to make sure they are working.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!