It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: I did something dumb
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So tonight i was Updating my iPhone and iTunes. (Thanks apple for not specifying and exact order) an I apparently was suppose to install itunes first before trying to update my phone. I know I know I should know better. Well 3 hours later I was able to get my phone back up and working. so I decided that I needed to update iTunes on my server. So, I removed Everything apple from the server and proceeded to reinstall. I got the default Itunes needs xp or higher message and clicked past it like always. This time I got a second error about how the ipodservice couldnt start or install and that I might now have he correct permissions on the machine to do the install anyway. So i tried to run as no luck at all. The real kicker is that I cant reinstall the old version either get the same error. I tried disabling the windows firewall no luck so I reinabled it. Now comes the really dumb part that i need help with. I clicked restore windows firewall to default and now I cant get back into My Server. What do I need to do to 1) access the server again. 2) install itunes and work past the ipod services error? If I had internet access besides what I have on my phone and standing next to the apartment office, I might thing this is a great time to upgrade the system drive. The issue there is that I couldnt download PP1 Which is located in a folder on my server and Im not exactly sure which update it really is I have a few loose MSS files in there. the second issue would be the date that is stuck on my drives I dont want to risk losing anything. Please Help!!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: I did something dumb
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I took the only course of action Availible to me. I broke out the video cable an attempted to fix the mess I made.well not sure what exactlyneeded to be added I installed a 2tb drive as the system drve an restored my server. As of 6 am everything looked ok. Thanks to cougar an yakuza for the direct download links I used to install the pp1 an pp2 updates an the 2 ho updates I could find. Verified in system properties that it's says windows home server service pack 2. I don't need the curruption bug that's for sure.

Now that everything is up an running I tried to install iTunes on a fresh is install guess what iPod services won't start error. I don't know what to do now at all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Check out my post regarding itunes vs. 9 and how to install the upgrade. Good luck.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5310&p=45294#p45294

Early to rise early to bed, makes a man healthy... but socially dead.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks Mezo.

Here is what I did. if the install of iTunes 9 Fails and you want to go back to say 8.2 you will have to rmove all the associated apple software that was installed. Bonjour, Quick time,Ect... You will also need to remove the itunes DB entries in the itunes music folder as the older version will freak out a little when it access those files.

So I was about to reinstall 8.2 after a botched attempt at 9. So after I officially had 8.2 installed I tried to upgrade to 9 before the up grade I followed Mezo's advice an copie the ipod folder to the desktop (C:\Program Files\iPod\bin). I then went about the upgrade I got the standard “Apple Mobile Device Support requires XP sp2 to be installed” which is more annoying then harmful just clicked past it. the install seems to work just fine until it gets to the "ipodservice.exe could not start" error this is when you want to delete the ipod folder in C:\Program Files\iPod\bin and then copy the ipod folder from your desk to the C:\Program Files folder. once you do that then click retry. The installation will finish and you will now be rocking itunes 9.

So here is why I said to copy the ipod folder from your desktop to the program files instead of cutting it. once you close itunes and reopen it will go through a configuration again and throw the ipodservices error. Thus requiring you to delete and copy that folder again. Unfortunately everytime I closed and reopened I got the error. So, I just went back to 8.2 for now until I hear that apple has addressed the issue.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank T-Bone for this post
Mezo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I didn't run into the error you mentioned, but I did discover that Airtunes can not hold a connection to the Airport Expresses I have around the house. So I will also be downgrading back to 8.2. I wish Apple could get its act together and realize that windows iTunes users function on more platforms than just xp and vista...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Mezo,

have you tried this again since the iTunes 9.01 update?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have been afraid to, call me skeptical. It took so much to get 9.0 installed see my post http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5310 and once I finally got it, Airtunes died. The speakers would show up in Itunes... then drop. I have been reading up on this issue in the Apple boards and people are still complaining about this problem even with 9.0.1. Plus there was an article that was found by dbone 1026 http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5499, which scares me even more... even though you can select not to install the iPhone Configuration Utility. Have you tried 9.0.1 with success?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

By the way, another work around has been posted on the wegotserved boards that seems much easier. You might give this one a try if the one I posted didn't work. People seem to have success with it, if I wasn't reliant on airtunes I would give it a shot, I just want confirmation that problem has been resolved before I go through the process again.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/9908-apple-itunes-9-whs-install-problems/

Thanks