It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:11 am 

Hey everyone,

I've come here to these forums as a last resort before I chuck this thing out the window. I purchased my EX470 almost as soon as it was released, and before I realized that the connector didn't work with 64 bit Vista. Ok, fine, I'm an IT guy so I can remote desktop in and everything is peachy.

Well, not so much. Ever since I've had it it's been very quirky. Some days it will run fine, and others I've found it shut down for no reason. Some days it would run all day, and others I'd have to re-boot it every two hours. It's been just reliable enough for me to trust it with my important data... you know... the entire reason I bought the thing in the first place.

About a month ago it began needing an excessive amount of time (about 30-45 minutes) to boot. When I tried to use the connector I got several error messages telling me that something or other failed to load and I should either retry or skip. Generally no matter what I chose the console would fail to load and I'd still have to resort to using remote desktop to the server. When I finally did get the console to load on the sever itself, after hitting skip three times to the three errors that popped up, it gave me numerous drive errors across all of my drives. Flabbergasted and defeated I resolved to fix this thing once and for all, and I went out and got a new processor and 2 gigs of memory for it as recommended by several sites on the internet.

After the installation of the new hardware, boot times where still in the 30 - 45 minute range. I felt I had no choice but to do a server wipe and start from new, so I found my restore disk and got to it. I did the restore and the flashing blue health light never went away. I even left it overnight... nada. The restore was stuck on the screen telling me to wait for the solid blue or purple light to continue, but I never reached a solid light after trying several restores with and without my three additional hard drives.

So, I took the drives out, hooked them up to my main computer, grabbed all the files I could, and did a factory reset. The drives were being very finicky at this point, so I thought maybe I found my problem. Hard to believe that ALL THREE would be going bad, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Factory reset done after the 34% hang problem took three hours of my life, but at least now things will be all back to normal.

Yep, normal, because now it boots and crashes immediately no matter how many drives I have in it. Turn it on... 5 reds... blue light blink for about five minutes... blue light solid for a split second and crash. Every. Single. Time.

So now what? I'm about ready to find a very exciting and public way to destroy it. I've been working on it for two days straight, and I'm at the end of my rope. I might try one last thing, and that's replacing the system hard drive, but I'd hate to do that and go through all this again.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:29 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I feel your pain but must say that by adding the new processor and ram during a time when you were having other "issues" was not the best idea. All it did was complicate your troubleshooting. Keep it simple. Put the old processor back in and see what happens.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The 470 will not boot with a bad drive in the storage pool. Try running the MSS with no drives except for the system drive. If it works, then add drives one at a time to determine which drive is bad.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Don't know if you installed the new proccessor or not but for what ever reason decided to reload a factory install. It kept failing in the middle of updates after it had finished acquiring data from the DVD. Then when it was ready to connect to the network and install updates and what nots. It would always fail to finish. Even when I could get it up and running and install the missing files, the machine would shutodown all a kinds of different times. I was at the point to send it in to HP (btw this is a HP EX470) I decided to remove the upgraded processor. On a whim thought I would go through the factory install for the tenth or more time. This time it install like it should and updated just fine. Its been running without any issues. I wanting to plug back in the processor and figure out if its the processor itself or the power supply has some issues. I'd really like to figure this out because I don't want to keep putting in a proccessor that is not the best thing to do. Everything I read seemed to say it would be okay but now I must wonder.
I know HP will have you take out all drives and plug it directly in the wall and let it run for 24 hours. If it shuts down then its something wrong with the case. (BTW my would shut down with the upgrade proccessor, but after removing the proccessor and putting in the old then it ran perfect no shutdowns). Any ways if it does shut down with no hard drives in it then HP tech sez its in the case. If it runs okay for 24 hours then you go from drive 1 to 4 one at a time and try to see if it shuts down with one in at a time. If you have any that shut down you might have a problem with that particular drive you have in it testing it for 24 hrs. Bottom line if you want to find out what HP is going to suggest then I would give them a call. I must say that they will actually still talk with owners of the EX470/475 and try to help them is really saying a lot. These guys really try to help you out. And it seems that they are located here in the U.S.

Rick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:48 pm 

It's almost without a doubt the processor. I had a nearly identical experince with the upgraded processor. Some MSS's don't like the upgrade.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks