It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi folks,
First post after buying a EX485 last week and playing with it over the course of the last few days. I've done a search but can't seem to find any answers.

I was able to update to 2.5 when I first set it up. My problem now is that whenever I try to check for updates in the HP software updates, I get a "could not connect to the HP mediasmart server web server at this time" error. Interestingly, I can't connect to the McAfee activation either and get "an internet connection is not available" error.

I haven't changed any of my ports from the default and as far as I can tell, all other WHS features are working. I can use demote desktop, I can login remotely through the website I set up, I can use iStream, I can use the console, I just can't connect to these update sites from within the console.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 am 
Founder
Founder

My server does this as well, my belief is that it is because there is no update available and the software is presenting an incorrect message. What is your 2.5 revision, is it 26972 or 27311?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Interesting. Mine is 27311. I had assumed something was configured incorrectly.

Is the lack of McAfee activation normal too? Heck, do I even need McAfee running on the server?

thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 am 
Founder
Founder

I personally don't use McAfee on my server, you can use search and read more opinions if you'd like. I don't know it's update would fail.

You have the newest 2.5 version, I'd leave things be for awhile and keep your eyes on the forums here where you'll learn about any future updates when they come. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm 

I have a similar concern. I am getting the same message when I "Check for updates" on the HP Update tab. I did change my old Linksys router (WRT54G) to a new one (WRT610N). I'm not sure how to test it to see if it is really checking for updates or not? I have an EX485 with the 2.5 update installed, however it's 26972. I am new to all this, is the server unable to update?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Warren wrote:
I have a similar concern. I am getting the same message when I "Check for updates" on the HP Update tab. I did change my old Linksys router (WRT54G) to a new one (WRT610N). I'm not sure how to test it to see if it is really checking for updates or not? I have an EX485 with the 2.5 update installed, however it's 26972. I am new to all this, is the server unable to update?

I would rollback to 2.1.7 and run the update again to get to 2.5.10.27311

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Fendrix for this post
Warren
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 pm 

Fendrix, I took your recommendation and I just want to say THANKS... It worked great. I now have the 2.5 update, version 27311. What's better, now when I hit the "Check for updates" link it actually goes out and checks! I admit that I was concerned that I would roll back but still would not be able to update. But that was not the case. My hats off to you for some great advice.
Thanks, Warren...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:04 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I also had that same error (new server just updated to 2.5 as well). I rebooted the server and all is will now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm still having this problem. Oddly enough, my health is now red stating there is an update I need to install, however when I go to get the update, it gives me the "could not connect" error. So it somehow knows an update is out there, but it can't get it....

More background: My WRT54G doesn't support UPNP since my internet connection gets killed whenever I turn on that setting. My ports are forwarded manually and my Mediasmart works perfectly in every other regard, including access to its website. I can not get to the internet via IE if I remote desktop into the server, but I'm not sure if that's normal.?

I'd really rather not roll back from 2.5 but if I have to, I suppose I can give it a try. Are there any other ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:47 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So I finally decided to give rolling back from 2.5 a shot. Unfortunately, it did nothing. Worse, I couldn't upgrade back to 2.5. After lots of searching, I found an .exe file of 2.5.10.27311 and was able to get back to where I started.

I also tried setting up a new router with UPnP and that didn't solve the issue either. I'm at a loss.....

Any other ideas that have worked for others?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It's a Christmas miracle. I finally figured this one out.

Per http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... e1c550c54/ I remoted in and configured my DNS server address to my router address (it was blank before that). Low and behold, it can now connect to get the update.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Helper Monkey for this post
JohnBick
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Helper Monkey wrote:
It's a Christmas miracle. I finally figured this one out.

Per http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... e1c550c54/ I remoted in and configured my DNS server address to my router address (it was blank before that). Low and behold, it can now connect to get the update.

Now, with 20/20 hindsight, that was kinda obvious....

If only it wasn't HINDsight!

Glad you got it working...! THANKS for the feedback for others!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm 
Founder
Founder

Did you have a static IP set on the server with no DNS configured?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yep, I think I set it to a static address when I first got it. Guess I forgot something...... :oops:

It was confusing because every other function of the server and remote access worked fine.

Thanks