It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:42 pm 

Beginning on 12-15 the Event Log for my HP WHS started throwing a bunch of SiSRAID2 Event 9 errors (see graphics below). On several occasions the server would reboot on its own and throw "Recovered from a Serious Error" dialogues after the reboot. A couple of those time the Microsoft suggested problem pointed to hardware issues involving memory. I'd done the 2GM RAM upgrade many months ago so I figured maybe the 2GB G.Skill memory chip was going bad, so I removed the chip and reinstalled the original 512MB RAM chip that came stock with the server, but the errors persist.

Since the problem is likely not RAM I decided to look at my hard disks. All the SCSI disks (4 total) in the unit show as "Healthy" but, other than Chkdsk I have no real way of diagnosing them for integrity. Is there a utility I can use for this that I can monitor? With the headless server web interface I'm not sure how to run diagnostics to check for problems when I can't monitor the utility.

Any help or suggestions would be terrific. I love the WHS, it's saved my bacon a couple times and really does take the burden off maintaining backups for all my PCs. But I think I have a problem creeping up...

Here are links to 3 screenshots that might help.

http://www.hisreef.com/WHS_Pix/EventLogSiSRAID2Error.JPG
http://www.hisreef.com/WHS_Pix/EventPropertiesSiSRAID2Error.JPG
http://www.hisreef.com/WHS_Pix/EventPropertiesSystemError1003.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to assist!
Doug

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:22 am 
Founder
Founder

I've not heard of this error before. If you're still within warranty you could try contacting HP support, perhaps it's a hardware failure. Have you ever manually run Windows Update on the server and downloaded any drivers? You could also try a Server Recovery, this will replace the existing OS with fresh original bits yet keep data in your duplicated shares intact, and should help determine if it's a software or hardware issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:29 am 

Thanks for responding, yakuza! Unfortunately I'm about 2 weeks beyond the 1 year warranty :( Isn't that poetic! Everything I've been able to determine points to hardware. I'm going to call HP today and see if they'll have a little grace since I'm so close to the 1 year warranty... we'll see.

Doug

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:04 pm 

Problem solved! Turns out a reconditioned 500GB drive I received from Western Digital (warranty replacement) doesn't seem to get along with the MSS. The drive works fine in my desktop PC but when used in the MSS drive pool it causes SiSRAID2 errors to be thrown periodically along with spontaneous reboots and general server instability.

Details: I called HP on Monday and sent them all the logs (using the Toolkit) and they said they'd get back to me in a day or so after they had time to analyze the information. While waiting for their return call (still waiting :? ) it dawned on me that the reconditioned drive I installed in mid-December might be the problem. Although it showed as completely healthy in the system I had a hunch it might be the culprit. I used the normal process to remove the drive (did not have any data on it yet), powered down the MSS and removed it from the unit. After booting back up all has been well for nearly 24 hours with zero SiSRAID2 errors. The MSS is stable and all appears well. Provided I remain error-free for the next couple days, I'll reply back here to close the loop.

Doug

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am 
Founder
Founder

Good to hear you got it figured out, and thanks for sharing your solution. 8)

Thanks