It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:53 pm 

I've enable video sharing on my EX475, but my MediaSmart TV doesn't pull video from the server only from my desktop running Media Player version 11. According to HP tech support this is because Media Player 11 isn't installed on my server, but attempts to download MP11 from MS tell me "Setup detected that you are running: Windows 2003 Server. There is no download available for this operating system."

HP Tech Support feels that this issue will be resolved soon with a patch, but didn't say when.

One thing that I tried was to run D-Link Media server software on my server to stream, but it only streams for a couple of hours and hangs the server. I'm guessing it's not made for Win2003. Any solutions or "try-this" ideas are appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:40 pm 
Founder
Founder

i've had good experiences with the MSS and MediaSmart TV's so am very surprised to hear this. what model TV do you have?

you don't need WMP11, though I've installed it on WHS before and it does offer some benefits to the streaming experience.

let me know the model TV and firmware version and I'll see if I can dig up any ideas.
(sent from phone in airport)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:09 pm 

The TV is a HPSL4278N and according to settings, my software is at version 2.0.116.071012.C1.

I'm glad you have some thoughts, this seemed like it should be a no-brainer to me.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:40 pm 

I'm having the same problem...

The EX470 server seems to broadcast only certain files types for availability.

For example, if I copy a MPG file to the video folder, my Mediasmart TV will be able to see it.

But...if I copy a MOV or WMV file, it won't see it. :?

BUT...if I rename the same file with a MPG extension, it will immediately appear.

So, it's not that the server isn't sharing...it's just selective about the file types and is excluding very common formats. They're in the folders...but they just don't appear!

Grrrr.....this is what I get for trying to embrace the future of convergence.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:08 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Wow. I've still got faith that the 360 will have more codec's added. Right now, it streams WMV and AVI. Haven't tried an mpg or mov yet....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:33 pm 

necro wrote:
Wow. I've still got faith that the 360 will have more codec's added. Right now, it streams WMV and AVI. Haven't tried an mpg or mov yet....

Yeah, but the thing is it's not the TV. The Mediasmart TV will play MOV and WMV files no problem. I've streamed them from other regular computers running XP and Vista.

It's the Mediasmart server that is hiding the file types from the TV. It also hides these file types from other computers using the sharing feature of Windows Media Player.

Anybody else run into this?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

OH, try rebooting the server. I've run into problems where the movie is there but not showing up. After rebooting the MSS, it works. Could be that it was balancing the file so it couldn't be accessed. Or just that the media sharing software was acting buggy.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 pm 

necro wrote:
OH, try rebooting the server. I've run into problems where the movie is there but not showing up. After rebooting the MSS, it works. Could be that it was balancing the file so it couldn't be accessed. Or just that the media sharing software was acting buggy.

Yeah, that helps when the server is temporarily failing to broadcast all the content of the media folders...but it's still refusing to show certain media types such as MOV and RM even upon reboot.

I know the TV can't play RM, but the server shouldn't be making decisions about what media types it going to broadcast to other devices. Other devices (such as another computer) can play RM files, of course, so it shouldn't hide them.

A server is supposed to...SERVE! lol

I'm beginning to believe the amazon.com reviews that say this product is not ready for the market. Cool concept, but still too buggy!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:05 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Keep in mind that DRM videos will not play properly because the license is not stored on the server!

Also, for streaming issues, try enabling the guest account with read only access to the media folders.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Gagtech is right about DRM content, plus keep in mind that WHS uses Windows Media Connect 2.0 which may have a more limited filetype support.

Thanks