It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hmm, firmware update for the router? Sounds liek it's blocking Netbios name resolution. There's no reason for the router to send the data outside for name resolution when the IP is on the same subnet - if it's doing that it's failing it the 'routing' function. Since there's no internal DNS or a WINS server running, name resolution will be by broadcast. I've used 4 different brands of hardware routers plus a software one I used to use since I've had some sort of always-on broadband conenction and none have ever had this problem.

Hmm, that makes me think of something. Right click on your network connection and open Properties. Select the TCP/IP protocol and click Properties. Click the Advanced button and go to the WINS tab. Make sure The NetBIOS settings are either Default or Enable. If it's already Default, try Enable to force it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK... I got it to work put there are problems with my PP1 install independent of installing the connector software. PP1 tells me I have conflicting files and that it can't find the location of the files. I deleted some of the files that it had conflicts with but as time goes by the server seems to just create more and more conflicts. I get the feeling that it probably won't stop until I've deleted every file on my server. :x Jeese this is frustrating. At this point I've uninstalled PP1, reloaded the connector software from the CD and everything works flawlessly.

So my tentative plan is this... backup my files to an external hard drive (fortunately I have a 500 gig one already) and start from scratch i.e. reload the OS on the server from my recovery CD, install PP1 and after everything is stable... copy my files back onto the server.

GDA... Here's what I did and maybe it'll work for you.

1. Install PP1 on your MSS

2. Create a folder on the desktop of the PC that yo want to install the connector software on called "connector software"

3. Copy all of the files dated 7/12/2008 from \\<your server name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software to the folder you created on your desktop.

4. Run setup and everything should install.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You'll note that if you run setup instead of install (the two files are there), you'll only have the WHS part of the connector installed. Install should also run the oem.msi file which is in the oem folder.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

VieuxJules wrote:
You'll note that if you run setup instead of install (the two files are there), you'll only have the WHS part of the connector installed. Install should also run the oem.msi file which is in the oem folder.

Do you know what the oem.msi file loads? Ultimately I'd like to have everything just update and be done with it although unfortunately I haven't been able to and had to do a workaround. I don't know if the file problem I'm having is connector related. Pre_PP1 no problems post-PP1 and there's nothing but problems. Somewhere along the way I loaded something or had a problem that is causing the problems I'm having now so I figure since there's no definitive answer it's just better to reload and start with a clean slate.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:14 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Since one of my computers is Vista x64, I had to run oem_x64.msi manually (the install.exe file was outdated). The only visible effect of this install is the MSS icon on your desktop which holds the MSS menu. But I don't know if it has other (non-visible) effects.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Oops. Wrong posting - too many windows open at one time. Back to the other thread. Sorry...

Thanks