It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm 

My hard drives are good, but according to HP my chassis is bad. The result is that I cannot access my hard drives because the server won't boot up. Amazon is sending me a new chassis, but I want to pull files off the hard drive beforehand since my last backup was three days ago and I need a file I created yesterday.

I have pulled the drive out of the Mediasmart box and put it into a drive enclosure. I downloaded a data recovery application, but of course I am not seeing the files in their correct array. Do I need some software to rebuild the array? I'm not sure what to do now. All good advice and suggestions appreciated!

PS

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:36 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You should be able to navigate to shared folders in the "Shares" directory.

But if you want a file in a backup you need to be running WHS as that provides the necessary database engine.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
PabloS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:57 pm 

JohnBick wrote:
You should be able to navigate to shared folders in the "Shares" directory.

With much appreciation and a slightly red-face... of course! Why would I even need a data recovery application? As you say, it's a simple matter of using Windows Explorer to get to the file.

It's probably worth sending this to the HP Tech Support, who informed me I wouldn't be able to access that data until the new server arrived, at which time I could insert the drive as an additional drive. Maybe he assumed I was attempting to access the backed up data rather than the editable files...

As a matter of interest, have you heard of many servers doing what mine did? It shut itself off during the night, and when I attempted to reboot: 1. the drive lights did not come on at all, 2. the Status light flashed red/blue, then red/purple, for a minute or two, then it switched itself off. In effect, I was unable to boot it up.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. It gets me out of a difficult spot with a client.

PS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:15 pm 

OK, not so simple as it happens. I can navigate to and view the file, but I cannot open it or copy it to another drive. I've tried changing the permissions and security settings, but to no avail. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

PS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 pm 

Update: I learned on the wegotserved.co.uk forum that the data are accessible through /DE/Share path. Anyhow, I tried that and there I found the clue I needed, which is that the files I wanted - which were visible but inaccessible in /Share (as distinct from /DE/Share) - were stored on the second hard drive, not the primary drive. These files were easily copied from the secondary drive simply by using Windows Explorer. Thus was the problem solved.

PS

Thanks