It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Lost server connection
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just received my HP Server today. I was part way through the configuration when I hit a snag. My router does not seem to support Universal PnP. So I made the changes manually. That seems to work. When I tried to set up my TZO domain I only got as far as entering my name and email address. After that nothing. The screen form just went away.

So, I through perhaps rebooting may help. I shutdown the server through the control panel. I also turned off my computer and gateway (router/DSL modem). I then restart the gateway, then the server, then my computer. My computer tray icon says the server is not connected. Then I click on the server I get //server/ not found (I changed the name from HPSERVER to SERVER).

All lights on my server are blue, but I cannot connect. Anyone have some ideas?

Regards,
Leif

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:26 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Is the server on DHCP? If so, log into your router and see if it lists the IP address of it in the logs. Then connect using the IP address instead.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks, necro, for your reply.

My problem has morphed as bit as I started my computer this morning. I now have a green server icon in my system tray (all lights on the server are still blue). However, when I hover over the icon it says "Windows Home Server Password needed"

I set up a user, but I don't recall setting up a password. One of the options from the green icon is to update the password. I tried that, saying I want to keep the computer password, and leaving the server password blank. When I click on OK I just get an hourglass.

So, I took another approach. I tried the Control Center, clicking on Server. I did not get the familar server password screen. Instead I got a dialog box that says "Connect to SERVER" at the bottom, has a logo with keys, and below that it is prompted for User Name: and Password:. For user name I tried \\Server. I entered my system password I establish the night before. When I click on OK all that happens is the user name I typed in become highlighted.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 am 
Founder
Founder

Try "Administrator" as the username with your admin password you configured during setup to access the network shares.

The password prompt on the tray icon is because the username and password on your client PC aren't in sync. Try to connect to the Server Console, add your username and password, and you should be good to go.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

As Alex suggested, use Administrator. What it's trying to tell you is that the account you are logged onto locally is also an account on the WHS but the passwords don't match.

You've got three options.

1. Change the local password to match the one you chose on the WHS
2. Change the WHS password (the one that matches the same account name) to your local one.
3. Ignore it. (yeah, you can ignore it, but it may make a difference with backups).

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks, I'm back in.

My next hurdle is to get external access. When I try to set up external access, I'm trying to register through TZO.com. However, I get the message (I believe from my Gateway), that it has detected a Router under a Router. Its suggested fix is to entirely open up my Server to the outside world through what they call TMZ Plus mode. This is what they say about TMZ mode:

"Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) – Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers."

Is this what I need to do to solve the router under router problem?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:28 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Give us a breakdown of your network and we can probably help.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The problem is fixed.

I was writing a long reply. When I went to try it again to get the exact error message, this time is worked! I used a different computer this time, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Thanks,
Leif

Thanks