It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:21 am 

Hi,

I've increased the storage of my server by adding 2x1TB drives (seagate), and I see the storage allocated with in the server console, however on my client PCs (both running Vista) I see the old capacity of the system (~500gb). I've tried re-booting the server and my client PCs but they still only see the old capacity, not the values I see in the whs console.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to fix this?

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

There is no way to fix it, network clients see the capacity of the system drive.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm 

Thanks for quick reply.

yakuza wrote:
There is no way to fix it, network clients see the capacity of the system drive.

Really? So how do you make use of additional storage once the capacity of the system drive is exceeded (if you cannot copy via explorer etc.)?

Thanks

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

Ah, in another thread I see that the system drive is used as a 'landing zone' for files which are copied to the server, and then the server will move to other drives if possible. However as I understand it you have no control over this. My new configuration has 2 very large drives in addition to the system drive so there is no reason to keep any shared data on the system drive (even the duplicated files) - however I wonder if the server will move all the files it can to the other drives? I guess I will have to wait and see. Would be nice if you could visualize which files are on which drive and manage them yourself. ..

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes, if you have more than 2 disks in the server, it will always work to move data off the system drive, until those other disks are nearly full.

I believe there is an add-in that allows you to visualize how WHS is migrating and duplicating your data, but there is no way to give you control over how it does it. Remember, the system is supposed to manage this for you so you don't have to care, just keep feeding it newer and larger disks when you need more space. :)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:22 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Yes, if you have more than 2 disks in the server, it will always work to move data off the system drive, until those other disks are nearly full.

I believe there is an add-in that allows you to visualize how WHS is migrating and duplicating your data, but there is no way to give you control over how it does it. Remember, the system is supposed to manage this for you so you don't have to care, just keep feeding it newer and larger disks when you need more space. :)

Yeah it all makes sense now - thanks for your help!

Thanks