It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just got my EX470 today and I've had all kinds of problems... I really want to like this product, but so far it's been an exercise in frustration. Here's what happened:

- I plug the box into my Linksys router (same router that my computer is connected to) & turn it on
- I get a solid purple health light and four red drive lights
- I try running the Client installation software. It can't find the server
- I turn the box on and off a couple of times, and at one point instead of four red drive lights I get one purple light. Also, I turn off the Norton worm protection/firewall on my client PC.
- The client software finds the server, the install proceeds, and everything is cool.
- I use my server for a half hour & everything works perfectly.
- A little while later, my computer can no longer see the server. I turn the server on & off, but I unintentionally do a forced shutdown
- When it comes on, I get zero drive lights and a purple health light.
- Still can't see the server. I run the server recovery program and follow the steps (uninstall the connector, power down, use the paperclip etc). Still can't see the server. I confirm through my router admin screen that the server is connected and has an IP address.
- I turn the server on & off a couple of times. Now I get a purple health light and four red drive lights. The client PC still can't see the server.

I'm wondering if it's two seperate issues.. namely 1) a connectivity issue between the client & server, and 2) the server not acting like it's supposed to -- i.e. I thought you're supposed to get a flashing health light when you put it into recovery mode by hitting the recessed switch? & why the four red drive lights?

Maybe I had a connectivity issue to start off with, and then I corrupted the drive by doing a forced shutdown? Maybe it came with a bad drive? The next thing I'm going to try is wipe the system drive (by reformatting it on another PC) and start fresh... and/or replace it with a different drive altogether.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried HP tech support and spoke to a friendly technician who said that he wasn't trained on this product, but that someone might eventually call me back...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:41 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, just as an update -- I took the system drive out, stuck it into a USB enclosure, attached it directly to a PC and confirmed that the drive itself is fine. I reformatted it, stuck it back into the Mediasmart server... and no change, I still get solid purple health light and four red drive lights.

Maybe I might need to RMA it at this point....?? This isn't normal behavior when you stick in a fresh new drive, right?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:45 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It sounds like you've got a problem with it. I would RMA it and get another one. The setup shouldn't take that long. Mine worked flawlessly.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

The 4 red drive lights is likely indicative of a hardware failure, though an intermittent failure seems strange. Also note that by formatting the system drive, you have erased the WHS operating system, and must perform a Factory Reset to get your operating system back.

I'd recommend you try the factory reset another time, while keeping these tips in mind:

- When you first turn on the server after it has been unplugged you may see the 4-HDD LEDs illuminate red for a few seconds, they should then go dark.

- Wait to press the Status button with paperclip until you observe the Health LED blinking red/blue. Press it only momentarily. The health LED should then blink red/purple. If it does not, please let us know what behavior you observe.

- Patience is a virtue here, this is NOT an appliance, it is a Windows OS and does not take well to abrupt powering off/forced shutdowns.

- It's possible that your client PCs firewall was blocking connectivity with the server. I know you turned it off at one point, but I've seen where those firewalls re-enable themselves after some period of time. Best option is to add WHS Connector to the firewall's whitelist.

I hope this helps!
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the responses. Basically what's happening now is that, no matter what I do, I get four red drive lights which stay on indefinitely, and a solid purple health light. I tried the paper clip right after startup when the LED blinks, and that doesn't make a difference -- it still goes to solid purple.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas, but I guess it's sounding like an RMA at this point... :cry:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

To clarify, the 4 HDD leds turn red as soon as you turn on the server, and stay that way?

Also, does the health light turn purple, or red? Please try pressing the state button (paperclip) after the health LED turns a solid purple color and see if you get a "blinky" code (such as 1xblue 4xred).

I'm leaning towards RMA as well, but these questions would be helpful.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:50 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yup, the 4 HDD leds turn red upon startup and stay that way indefinitely (I left it on for a half hour just in case, but they still stayed red!).

The health light turns purple, not red. I get no blinky code -- it just stays purple when I press the paperclip button...

Thanks again for your help & input. I guess it's not looking good...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

Wow, I've never heard of this, usually the Health LED is red in this case. I'm no support expert, but it sounds like you'll need to RMA to your vendor.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It's been RMAed. Hopefully I'll have more luck with the next one! (crossing fingers..)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:24 am 
Founder
Founder

Good, please do let us know how things go!

Thanks