It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:28 pm 

Hi,
I have two old WHServers that have been working well for years. My personal computer is running Windows 10. I deliberately chose not to upgrade to Windows 11 because I knew I could no longer use my WHServers. I call the servers HPSTORAGE-ONE and HPSTORAGE-TWO. HPSTORAGE-TWO was turned off to avoid conflicts I had disk issues with HPSTORAGE-ONE so had to rebuild it from scratch using the original disks provided by HP. When it came time to use the connector software, in the past, I was always asked what I wanted to name the server and then I was asked to provide an administrative password. BUT, this time I was not asked for these properties, and essentially I have never been able to connect. So I have turned off HPSTORAGE-ONE, and turned on HPSTORAGE-TWO, and then attempted to connect my personal computer to it using the provided connection software, fully expecting to be able to connect. The software recognized the server's name correctly as HPSTORAGE-TWO (I have to select the radio button labelled: "Find my home server manually"), and even tells me the Password hint information correctly, but at the stage where I am challenged for the Windows Home Server password, the process fails with: "The operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. Bla Bla Bla".
This has never been an issue for me using Windows 10, but Windows 11 users have reported the same issue. My question is: "What has changed with Windows 10 since I last successfully connected to these servers". Windows update occurs from time to time and so the most likely cause must be buried in a Windows update. But what? And how can I undo this change?

Now I have two almost useless WHServers! I can remote desktop to HPSTORAGE-TWO and fiddle with everything. But I can not connect to do backups etc.
Gordon

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:58 pm 

I am in a similar situation, resurrecting my WHSv1 and attempting to reestablish communication from my Surface that I had working a few years ago. I'll post back here if I get it working again.

Regards,

Paul

Paul

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Forum members Ruben Rocha and Lioninstreet go through this in detail in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14639

TLDR:
1) Ensure SMBv1 has not been disabled by an update on your win10 client PC.
2) Make sure you are installing the connector software from the Software/Home Connector Software shared folder on your WHServer
3) Run using the Setup.exe file as the others can have issues with WIn10.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 am 

I had a similar problem and blundered into what may be a potential solution. I'd reviewed the thread referenced on the previous post, reenabled SMB1.0 (I believe that fixed network access to my WHS shares), made sure that .NET Framework 3.5 was fully enabled (not sure that did anything), removed the old WHS connector using Revo (I had to run the install script and kill the processes after discovery failed for Revo to find it). I left in the registry entries related to the firewall, rebooted and tried again.

When I got to the discovery phase I again received the "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support." message.

Having seen mention of discovery.exe elsewhere and not realizing that it is the same application that had just gotten an error, I located and ran it from the Program Files folder. It again gave me the error after finding my server and taking my password. But when I closed the program, Windows asked if I wanted to run it again in compatibility mode which I did. That time it worked! After responding to the backup questions I killed the installation processes from windows task manager, ran the WHS Console app from the Windows Menu and everything appears to work now.

If this happens again I may try running the setup app in compatibility mode... Hope this is helpful to others.

Thanks