It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I purchased an unopened EX495 and am trying to get it set up.
I am using an XP SP3 computer, with firewall turned off.
The server boots up and It gets to the point where the lights pulse blue.
When I run the software installation disc that came with it, I can not get to the point to set it up and create a password or name the server.
I am guessing it is passed the point I get stuck?
I can't get past the point where it asks you if you want to wake the computer up for back ups. (Is that supposed to happen before you name the server and create your password?)
I have tried selecting yes and no and it hangs up and finally gives an error stating "an unknown network error has occurred".
By using task manager I close out the install program and am able to keep the software installed.
The server shows up on a webpage and gives me the link to download the connector software as well but same thing, hangs after selecting yes or no about waking computer up.
Shared folder even shows up but I can not access anything because I never named it or entered a password.
The server is showing up in network places with the name HPStorage.

In a different attempt,
(I also tried to do a reset to factory but it hangs and gives an error 3, then I tried with a different hard drive and got an error 2, even after formatting it. Might have to learn more about factory reset procedures but I have been reading)

I will try to experiment and read more on these forums but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got it working! LOL. I did a restore.
I think starting XP in safe mode might have been what helped with a successful restore.
Got it into recovery mode by using the paper clip right after turning it on with the button. Have to click the recovery button with a paper clip as soon as the LED all the way to the right just starts blinking aqua and red.
Then that light blinks whiteish looking. Then I started the recovery software copied to my desktop. It failed the first time so I started the recovery software again and it worked.
It took a while and the led changed colors during the process if I recall correctly. I assume it was erasing the drive and reinstalling the operating system in that 20GB partition.
I was finally able to do a restore correctly with the end result being it was flashing aqua white (all 3 LEDs and the one hard drive LED too), after it had automatically rebooted. I think this is when it is ready for the installation software to connect and allow setup.
I tried the installation software from safe mode but it did not work so I unplugged the cat5/6 cable that was hooked between them both and attached both devices to my switch that is connected to internet etc.
I rebooted the XP computer.
Then I ran the software installation disc (dragged and dropped/copied onto my desktop). It is the connector software.
It worked and then I finally reached the page where I could name the server and enter a password.

Reading all the tips from everyone who posted on this forum is what made it possible for me to achieve this, so thanks you all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I was able to update this server to 3.3.1.35433
Dragged the 3 updates(3.1, 3.2, and 3.3) to the software folder from my client PC (XP SP3) and then used remote desktop on this EX495.
Dragged the updates to the desktop and ran them in successive order. They all installed without restarting the server.
Tomorrow I plan to see if I can use discovery.exe to switch between this EX495 and the used EX470 I just updated to WHS V3.3.
I have two EXD470's that are on v1.1 software and I can not use the client PC's connected to them to use discovery.exe to connect to these servers that are on 3.3.
So I might have to update them to V3.3 as well so I can access all servers from any client PC in the house.

And this day started with a power supply failure in the XP SP3 computer I have been using to work on these servers.
The computer kept restarting when I tried to turn it on, and then I heard a high pitched noise.
Luckily I had a spare power supply brand new in box from years ago that I bought as a back up.
Swapped that out and was back in business. What a day this has been, I was so bored lately and this has really been fun.
I needed something to occupy my mind and this did it. LOL.

Thanks to everyone who posted information on their problems and solutions on this site, it has helped me a lot.

Thanks