It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS V1 Connector Issues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:00 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello!

A while ago I got a message on startup saying to reinstall the WHS V1 connector software on my older Windows 10 64bit computer. It might have happened after a Win10 update or a power outage with a dead cmos battery, not sure.

Of course, reinstallation is not working. I am getting an error after entering my password that says, "This operation cannot be completed at this time". I also get an error in event viewer that says, "This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer "MyServerName" uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established.
I have heard this may not even be a problem because the error shows up on systems that don't have any problems installing the connector software?

I replaced the battery in the PC and made sure the time zone and time was synchronized. I checked the server and made sure the time and zone were correct in it and it is.

If I use task manager to quit installation, everything else works except the icon in the system tray stays grayed out and says not connected. I can actually get into the server through the icons on the desktop and the system tray icon. I can also get into the server through a web browser and tried installing the connector software that way but same error.

I have three WHS V1 servers, two are HP and one is a custom build I put together using WHS V1 software. I tried with another server and got the exact same results.

My main computer built in 2019 with i9 CPU etc., is running windows 10 64bit with the latest updates and is working perfectly with WHS V1 including the connector software in the system tray showing a green icon. I have a server discovery icon on the desktop of this PC and can switch between all three of my servers. Discovery on the troublesome PC doesn't work.

On the troublesome PC, I have made sure SMB1 is activated in optional features, and I made sure the automatic removal option was unchecked. If I uncheck all the SMB1 stuff I get the same error during connector software installation and the same error in the event viewer.

Tried enabling NetBIOS over TCIP and no change so went back to automatic setting.
I connected the server and PC to the same network switch, no change.

I tried uninstalling the connector software and the HP Media Smart software through add remove programs, including restarting the PC and no change. I heard there might be a third thing to uninstall but cannot find it?
Also copied the whole connector software folder to my desktop and tried installing from there, still have the same problem.
I enabled RDP (remote desktop) on the troublesome PC, turned off my firewall, and made sure I was on private network and file sharing was enabled as well. Still no change.

Going into the C drive, program files and WHS folder, double clicking "discovery" runs the discovery program but it fails to connect, so I think whatever is wrong is stopping discovery from discovering! LOL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:16 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

smb1 was probably deleted on a windows update on the pc and changed to smb2.
You can run smb1 and smb2 concurrently.
The hp server needs smb1
Goto the search bar on the task bar.
Search for
turn windows features on or off.
Open it and find smb1.0/cifs
Expand and make sure the client and server has a check mark if not do so.
then select okay.
If they were not checked it probably was the issue.

Do not enable the smb1.0/cifs automatic removal or another update will turn smb1 off again.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you,
I have made sure SMB1 is activated in optional features, and I made sure the automatic removal option was unchecked.
Unfortunately, the problem is still there.
I'm hoping to look into it further this weekend, I should have some time to experiment with it some more.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:45 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ruben & I worked thru a similar issue a while back here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14639

Hope that helps

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
FrustratedPotato
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:29 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I wanted to say thank you for posting that link, I did come across that thread and read it a couple of times.
Read it again just now all the way through and I will attempt to get my problem child PC working correctly again with the connector.
Took a break from it and built another Windows 10 computer to sort of clone my main one.
Now that I am refreshed, I will try again!
Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:43 am 

Hi- well I'm in the same boat as FrustratedPotato. I've resolved glitches over the years with the help of this fine group but seems to be a tough one now. I've run thru the SMB1, Netframe, and netbios settings, uninstalled and reinstalled the connector software on my Dell W10 laptop a zillion times. Have not tried the Revo software- it can clean up old installs? Event files point at the 6.03436.0 and 6.0.2423.0 conflict. I last connected successfully in Oct 22 and I only back up with the ex495 from time to time so sometime since then the connector broke. I have to connect through an old router as my new router blocks the server and I can't figure that one out so a bit kludgy on my end. Any help appreciated but this excellent hp solution may have had its time= it saved my butt a number of times!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yes, I use Revo to remove and clean connector installs. During the removal process choose advanced and "carefully" select the bolded registry items.

But you may find that after removal, you could try starting fresh on the server & do a server recovery (not a reset) to get the terminal install to play nice. This kind of thing can be frustrating.

You are using the HP 3.0 disks?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:36 pm 

thanks for the reply! I have the Revo now. Dug my discs out and the Recovery Disc is V1.1- looks like I have an ex475. The server is running Power Pack 3. Can I get back to the current state with these discs? I can navigate all over the server thru remote desktop but I don't have another laptop to see if the connector trouble is on the pc or server side or both.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I just re-read your initial post and if reading correctly the mismatch is the client has connector v6.0.3436.0 & the server is using v6.0.2423.0

If this is correct, before you try the OS reinstall use Revo to fully remove the WHS connector software and the HP software from the client & restart the client. Then remote into your MSS Server and copy the WHS folder and paste it onto your desktop. There are 3 connector install methods I'm aware of not including the software install disk (ex47x disk is does not include PP1 and therefore will not include a 64 bit connector):

1) in that folder there is a file setup.exe that should install v6.0.2423.
2) If it still conflicts, use Revo again & restart and try installing using WHSConnector_x64.msi
3) if that dosn't work, try downloading the connector software to your desktop & installing using http://yourservername:55000

Should this fail and you end up doing the OS restore, the MSFT OS can be fully updated using the Off -Line Update tool http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/posting.php?mode=edit&f=3&t=14784&p=105732,
but unless you have one of the fairly rare ex47x or 48x HP v3.0 disk (or still have a working server) updating the HP updates on either of those HP Servers is a bit more detailed and you will likely be limited to updating to v2.51.5

If you're lucky enough to have a working server, all of these HP patches are stored in the server at C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\.applied. Just copy & save them to a USB or whatever so you can reinstall later before doing the recovery.

Once ready to do the recovery, complete the process using the install disk you have. I found the below steps make for a failsafe OS install.

1. For an OS restore (data loss), pull ALL your server drives out if any are installed then install the HDD destination drive for the fresh OS install in the bottom WHS slot
2. For an OS recovery, all drives being used prior to the recovery must remain installed
3. Fully disconnect the client you are using to install the server OS with from the internet by removing the LAN cable. If the client has wireless internet access, go ahead and disable that too.
4. Fully remove the HP software and Windows connector software from the client (if installed)
5. Copy the HP Software Recovery Disk from a CD drive to your desktop
6. Disable all 3 firewalls (domain, public, private) in control panel/admin tools/ win firewall / firewall properties
7. Disable any antivirus and all three firewall properties found in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Windows Firewall With Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties
8. Enable SMB1 if client using w10
9. Enable NET Framework 2.0 & 3.5 if using w10
10. Turn off the client computer
11. Connect a CAT5a LAN cable directly between the server and the client.
12. Restart the client in safe mode with networking (this is optional, but it is reported that difficult installs have worked by including this step
13. Put the server in revcovery mode.
14. From the client, open the contents of the HP Recovery disk and open the file WHSRecovery.exe to begin the factory restore or reset process.
15. If using a w7x64 client or newer, when the recovery ends, you will get a warning that the terminal cannot be setup. Just click past this.
16. From the client, remove the Recovery disk. Then, run the Software Installation Disk. Work thru the Software Installation setting up your user name, password, etc. Remain fully off line
17. Open the Server console. You will get notification that the server wants to check on-line for and install the HP updates, just click OK. Since you're off-line the check will fail. No worries, just click past this.

As an aside, my ex49x is setup to bypass the PXE paperclip install method in favor of the far easier USB method found here. (this is not needed on the ex47x or the ex48x). (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14522)

Then remote into the server or use the VGA adapter and use the Off -Line Update tool to restore your Microsoft s2k3 and WHSv1 updates (note that if you see updates erroring or find all the Power Packs are not installing, all updates are located in the Off -Line Updater program's w2k3\enu folder and can be installed manually).

Once the server is fully updated, you can use an x64 client to add the client connector. It is best to install it by copying it from it's server folder to the client desktop as noted at the beginning of this post

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:06 pm 

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I've never had to restore the server but if all else fails I will give it a try. Great to know the updates are on the server in a way I can copy them off and reinstall- super information- thank you!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

makeitwork wrote:
Thanks for the detailed instructions, I've never had to restore the server but if all else fails I will give it a try. Great to know the updates are on the server in a way I can copy them off and reinstall- super information- thank you!!

You're welcome!

Just to clarify, the only updates you can copy off the server are the HP updates.

If you are looking to update the V1 OS and while using the off-line updater, you find an update won't install, all of the numerous MS updates are in folder *.\w2k3\enu in the updater. To install individually, just click on the KB update you need.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:41 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just wanted to provide an update on my issue installing WHS V1 connector on windows 10 64bit.
I got it working on my problem computer.
First, I must mention I had a bad CAT6 cable messing with my network, got that straightened out by replacing the cable.

When I install the connector and it gets to the point where it says, "This operation cannot be completed at this time" I hit ctrl, alt, delete to bring up task manager and end the task named "Home Server Discovery", then end the task named "Windows installer (32bit)".
That leaves the connector software installed but just not working.

I'm not completely sure about what got this working from here, but here is what I did.
1. Enabled SMB1 (checked two boxes and not the one that says to remove if not used).
2. Went into the C: drive, program files (not the x86 one), windows home server, then right clicked "Discovery.exe" and clicked send to desktop creating a shortcut. Then ran the shortcut on the desktop as administrator.
3. When it did not work again, I used task manager again to end those two processes previously mentioned. Then got a pop-up window that asked If it installed correctly and asked if I wanted to install using compatibility for Legacy TLS and I clicked yes. I never saw that pop up before.
This is where it worked, and I now have my WHS V1 functional from all computers and I am adding another computer using the same work arounds.

This linked post below has stuff on TLS (even though it is about windows 11 and WHS V1). (I hope I am not doing anything wrong by linking it here like this) A user named captainsemtex shows how to enable two things called cipher suites if I am reading this correctly. I wonder if running my setup with the compatibility settings for TLS, enabled these two ciphers? I wonder if TLS can be enabled using add remove features in settings? According to the post you can enable them with windows powershell. Interesting read.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15244

Thanks