It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm 

I have just updated to Windows 11 and the WHS Connector has disappeared. Windows does not allow me to reinstall it. Does this mean the end of the road for this fantastic backup system or can anything be done?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have not tried win11 yet but I would bet SMB1 is not installed.
GOTO Turn on windows programs and features if that still exists.
And see if SMB 1 is available to install.

Just found this after posting.
Watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgicO4L4d4

If it were me I would uncheck the automatic removal option.

For me I am going to wait till I get a nag to upgrade to win 11

Q9450s CPU
Stock Ram
ESATA Sansdigital Towerraid TR5M-B
Popcorn C-200
Popcorn A-200
Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:22 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just added a Windows 11 laptop to my home mix. I am successfully using whs v1with W7, W8.1 and W10 clients. When I tried to install the connector on the 11 machine, I get past the MediaSmart app installation app and all the way through the connector software install until where you enter your password for the home server. This results in an error - "this operation cannot be completed at this time". From there, connector uninstalls. I am setup as Private network, file sharing turned on, smb1 is all turned on, and I can rdp into my home server. I also tried creating a simple password with no special characters. On one reinstall attempt, somehow (not sure the sequence), the connector actually got installed (greyed out icon in taskbar) -- however, when I tried to login by adding password, I got the same operation cannot be completed error. Also, sometimes, after the connector install unwinds, I get a "Wake on Lan configuration failed" error message. Must be something fairly simple - hoping W11 is not the end of the road ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Adding some additional information about this issue. When the password is rejected per above, the event viewer has this error message: "Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer ServerXYZ uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established."

This error has a history with the Connector install and backup issues going back to the early days of WHS. But I could not find a definitive explanation or resolution to this error. Some in fact noted that sometimes the connector installs even when this error occurs. So, doesn't really help. And the versions referenced are both valid software versions I believe for the latest updates. On my server 6.0.3436.0 is the version of the Remote Access program, and 6.0.2423.0 is the version for the Server Console, Backup & Restore and Drive Extender programs.

I also looked on the Server side and found this application error: An SSL connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The SSL connection request has failed. I believe this is a SSL/TLS issue. Over my head here but I think Windows 11 drops TLS 1.0 support completely. I'm not clear why the client app can't use the protocol it needs but maybe Windows 11 forces a higher level protocol?

Thanks