It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:27 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have a WHS v1 server (it is in fact an HP MediaSmartServer), which is old but works fine. However, it recently stopped running the automatic nightly backup on a new Windows 10 machine. A manual backup runs fine, and everything else seems normal. My other computers are doing their nightly backups without trouble. It seems that this particular Win 10 machine will not wake up from sleep to do the backup.

Some adjustments were recently made to this Win 10 machine to address a problem with its not going to sleep when it should. That problem is resolved, but now I have this problem.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on or what I can do to fix this problem? Uninstalling and reinstalling have not fixed it. Of course, uninstalling the connector software leaves many traces behind. Is there a way to completely expunge the connector software from a PC? Are there Windows 10 settings that could be preventing the computer from waking up to do the backup? What about Windows 10 updates? Has anybody experienced Windows 10 updates causing trouble?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Probably wake on lan is not enabled.
read this
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c ... stry%20key
and
https://windowsreport.com/windows-8-wak ... n-problem/

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
davidpotts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the advice. I tried the experiment of setting the time for automatic backups to a time when I could observe it and the computer was awake, and the result was that the backup went perfectly. So, the problem really does seem to be that the computer isn't being wakened to do the backup. And I agree that wake on LAN is probably where the trouble lies.

This computer connects wirelessly. The wireless adaptor has a bunch of WoWLAN settings in Control Panel that I don't understand. There is nothing as simple as "Enable wake on LAN." I also am having trouble finding resources that say much about wireless waking (they all seem to concentrate on Ethernet). So if anyone knows where I might go for info about that, I'd be grateful for the pointer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

what is the wireless device and port you are using?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:27 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It is a "Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650w 160MHz Wireless Network Adaptor (200D2W)"
in PCI Slot 11 (PCI bus 164, device 0, function 0)

This device did the job until a couple of weeks ago, when some settings changes were made to the computer (which I'm afraid I don't know what changes exactly), and since then I've had this trouble.

I discovered yesterday that wake-on-LAN had somehow gotten turned off in the BIOS. I turned it on and was full of hope. But this morning I found that the nightly backup didn't run, just as before.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

did you check the pme setting from
As well as follow all the other steps on that reference.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
did you check the pme setting from
As well as follow all the other steps on that reference.

There doesn't seem to be a PME setting for this device. Here is a screenshot of the advanced settings page. (I would attach a second to show all the options, but I can't seem to attach more than one file.)
Attachment:
Wireless Network Adaptor Properties 2.png
Wireless Network Adaptor Properties 2.png [ 22.02 KiB | Viewed 12407 times ]

I have tried most of the tips on that Windows Report page, yes. But a bunch of them, like PME, apparently no longer exist, such as Fast Startup and PCI Express power management. It's not the driver, which hasn't changed from backups were working. I added a registry key similar to what is described here, but not quite the same (it was suggested by a different site). One thing I might try is looking for more of the particular BIOS settings mentioned on this page. But I have already searched the BIOS for "sleep" and "wake" items and not found anything more than what I have already adjusted. Still, there might be more that I have yet to find.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:43 am 
Founder
Founder

It would be helpful if you knew what changes were made that caused this to break.

IIRC WHS doesn't use Wake-On-Lan, it schedules a wake up time on the client computer to initiate the backup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
It would be helpful if you knew what changes were made that caused this to break.

IIRC WHS doesn't use Wake-On-Lan, it schedules a wake up time on the client computer to initiate the backup.

Yes, I would like to know what changes were made also. It was one of those tech support encounters where the technician assumes remote control of your computer and starts monkeying around with it. I can understand why they want to do this—it's just so much more efficient—but then I don't know what was done. So far, my efforts to find out have not been successful.

I'm surprised that the server does not initiate the backup. How can the local computer do that, if it's asleep?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

davidpotts wrote:
I'm surprised that the server does not initiate the backup. How can the local computer do that, if it's asleep?

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en- ... hssoftware
Quote:
Windows Home Server uses a combination of a hidden task and hardware timers (both on the client) to wake a computer for backup.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
davidpotts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:42 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks, that's very helpful.

This has caused me to start learning about "wake timers" on Windows. They are enabled on my machine, and the powercfg.exe program lists this timer:

Quote:
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.exe (WHSConnector) expires at 2:12:00 AM on 8/17/2021.

Still, the computer does not wake to do the backup.

I will try the suggestion made on that earlier discussion you linked of setting it to run when I can observe it and see what happens.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

davidpotts wrote:
I will try the suggestion made on that earlier discussion you linked of setting it to run when I can observe it and see what happens.

I did the above experiment, which was to set the time for backups to an hour when I could observe and let the computer go to sleep before that hour arrived.

The result was that the backup was performed. This was yesterday afternoon. However, I then changed the backup time back to overnight (midnight to 6 a.m.), and the backup was NOT performed last night. Is this because it was too soon after the previous backup?

Also, I was surprised that the computer did not visibly wake up to do the backup. The screen stayed dark. I thought it hadn't worked. But when I woke up the computer after the backup time had passed, the backup had been performed.

Thanks