It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:09 pm 

Ok, so I pulled out my ex470 that's been sitting in the closet for the past few years. In Windows 10 I was able to use folder explorer access the shared folder but I don't recall my password.

I still have all my recover and install disc and researching online, I can restore the system with out wiping the data. Ok so I installed Win 7 on a older laptop, setup a network with a old Linksys router and connected my sever. I'm able to ping to it and see the shared folder.

Installing the home server connecter give a error that it can't find the server, I even selected to find my server manually and that still fails? So any ideas or tips on what I should do.

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You should not have issues with win 10.
in windows explorer under network if you see the server open it then select the software folder then Home Server Connector Software folder then select setup.
That should not be password protected.

But if you can't remember the password then you are stuck after.
I would suggest to use the server install cd and run recovery not reset so it preserves the data and allows you to reset the password.
Remember to direct connect the server to the pc with the cd and when prompted with paperclip in hand place the server in recovery mode.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Are you trying to put the server back in service or just pull files from the drives?

If you want to put it back in service, do what Ruben said. You don't need to have the server running thru a router. It can be hardwired directly to the laptop and just set the laptop up with a wireless internet connection. But make sure your Ethernet cable is at least cat5e.

I had a heck of a time getting a 49x server to ping and ended up having success using this method with WHSv1. The primary difference is you don't have to deal with steps

1. Verify server is off
2. Start client (your laptop) w/LAN cable attached and internet working
3. Verify no WHS software is installed on the terminal (I use Revo freeware, selecting advanced scan mode to find the registry settings that get left behind)
4. Download recovery disk to client's desktop
5. Disable all 3 firewalls (domain, public, private) in control panel/admin tools/ win firewall / firewall properties
6. Disable anti virus
7. Restart client in safe mode with networking
8. Change LAN cable to OE server cable, no internet connection now, client connected directly to MSS
9. Follow the regular ex47x recovery process so you can reset the password without destroying any data

Hope that helps!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks