It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: ex495 No Drive Lights
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All,

I've had this for years running without a problem. The other week we had a power failure and since then I've been unable to connect to it (either via rdp or it's shares).

In order to restart the server I need to hold down the power switch for several seconds then I press the power button to power it back on.

The status lights on the bottom two are blue while the health flashes blue for about three minutes then it too turns solid blue.

I do hear at least one of the drives however none of the drive lights are lit.

I can see the network activity, flashing yellow on the server but still unable to access.

I've removed all drives (4 x 2tb drives) restart and see the two status lights blue, this time with health light flashing white.

If I restart with all drives attached I still see eventually all status lights blue but still no drive lights.

What else can I do to identify the problem? I kind of suspect the drive controller in the server is dead but can't be sure.

Jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The third status light blinks blue when the OS is loading or shutting down. Drive lights go on once the OS is fully loaded & drive extender is fully operational.

Do you have the ability to hook a monitor up and watch the boot path? In the alternative, do you have a spare HDD lying around you can use to try a fresh OS install on?

Either of those options should give you a pretty good indication if the MSS hardware is kaput.

As for your extended blinking blue health light, that typically means your OS may have some kind of corruption causing slow booting. It could be something as simple as a drive with an issue. You could pull each of the drives out, connect it to another computer and perform CHKDSK /r on each drive to see if that will correct the issue at hand some times it does other times it does not but in most cases its the right thing to do. If you have software to test HDD's and monitor SMART like WD disk sentinel you could use that to check drive integrity as well.

You could also back out all your storage pool disks then try to boot the server with only the system drive in which is in the bottom drive bay. If the server boots it will pinch a fit about missing drives and corrupt this and that which is to be expected so just ignore that and see if the drive light goes on. If so then just shut the server down. Next insert the next drive above it and reboot. If it boots shut it down and insert another drive until you have done this will all the drives. What your looking for is the drive that prevents the server from booting. Once you find that drive then connect it to another computer and run CHKDSK /r hoping to correct the issue with the drive and if so then your in good shape and you can get your server back online.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
JiboJones
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Also since you pulled all four drives the health was probably blinking violet not white which says it is in recovery mode due to the missing os drive.

Also by holding down the power button for several seconds you are forcing the server to shut down bypassing the normal shutdown.
You should refrain from this practice to avoid disk corruption unless it is the only way to shut it down.
Usually you push and release and after a a few moments it will start a normal shutdown.
First by blinking the health led for a few them completely off.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

On my ex-490
From memory I do recall on occasion when doing a reset or recovery that the drive leds would not pulse or come on until I completed all the updates including the connector software.
The drive led's are supposed to pulse till you connect the first account with the server after a reset or recovery.
Or breathe as they call it.
So maybe your connector software is hosed on the client.
If so I suggest you delete all the apps.
Hp and hp-64 and ms connector and reinstall on the client.
If the server is updated already it is best to do it directly from the server in lieu of the cd for the client.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for all your responses.

I use drive bender for file replication and from memory, I think if I take a drive to another PC, I should still be able to access the data on that drive and hopefully, recover all data from the rest of the drives.

After which I'll try re-installing OS and see how it goes. Just time now to sit, plan and execute.

Hopefully, this tiny beast still has many more years in it.

I'm also checking out the MicroServer Gen10 Plus with the Xeon processor - looks the goods though only limiting factor is it's power supply limiting its processor potential, nevertheless

Cheers Everyone
Hope you're all staying safe in these weird times
Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JiboJones wrote:
I use drive bender for file replication
Your using Drive Bender? Just curious, what OS are you using? Since you wouldn't be using drive bender with v1, and the lights are kinda quirky with anything else, using them as a troubleshooting reference might not be something that would tell you much.
JiboJones wrote:
From memory, I think if I take a drive to another PC, I should still be able to access the data on that drive and hopefully, recover all data from the rest of the drives. After which I'll try re-installing OS and see how it goes. Just time now to sit, plan and execute. Hopefully, this tiny beast still has many more years in it.
Yup, that's correct. And there's lots of info on this forum about this if you run into something unexpected.
JiboJones wrote:
I'm also checking out the MicroServer Gen10 Plus with the Xeon processor - looks the goods though only limiting factor is it's power supply limiting its processor potential, nevertheless
Seems like the Gen8 is still top dog if you can find a decent one. That's what I would prolly upgrade to if I was running s19 hybrid essentials.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks