It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:39 pm 

I have three PC's on which I just installed the 64-bit Windows 10 Pro 2004 version. That required reinstalling the WHS Connector on each system. I was successful on the first two systems, but the third system failed with a message that read in part "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later." Please help me understand why the reinstallation failed on the third system, which, although it is running on older/slower hardware, seems to be the software equivalent of the two systems that succeeded.

My WHS hardware is an HP EX475 with 2.73TB on three internal disks running WHS with Power Pack 3. It is downstairs at the end of a hardwired Ethernet LAN. The three PC's sit next to one another on the same LAN as the server.

The WHS Connector Troubleshooter says that "The version of the Connector software does not match the version of WHS," which I believe is not a problem.

The WHS Connector Troubleshooter says that 'Internet Explorer has "Automatically Detect Settings" or HTTP Proxy configured' which I believe is not a problem.

When I reinstall the Connector, I open a File Explorer window to "\\MyServerName\software\Home Server Connector Software" and double click on setup.exe. On the PC, that repairs the HP MediaSmart server and gets me to the WHS Connector installation. Lots of files get copied and things are started up and then things pause as my WH server is located. I enter its password and, after a brief pause, am told that the operation cannot be completed. My other systems got into the rest of the install, such as setting up backup.

I've tried making sure all three systems are the same (for example, making sure that the Windows feature of ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" is turned on). I've tried doing the connector installation from a local copy of the software. I've tried turning off the firewall and other protective software.

When I use an event viewer to look at what is happening on the server, the successes and failures look the same (simply a successful issue of a certificate).

On the PC's, I see similar events in the systems that succeeded and the one that fails. Specifically, I don't see anything interesting in the systems' System logs. In the Application logs, I see similar sequences up to a point.

Successful reinstallation:

Event ID 1817 (WHS Connector service started successfully)
Event ID 1794 (Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.) I don't understand this as the reinstallation does successfully connect me to the server to log in.
Event ID 1807 (Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer HPSERVER1 uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established.) I don't understand this as it appears to say that the reinstallation should fail, but it succeeds.
Event ID 1818 (The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped successfully.)
Event ID 1817 (The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.)
And there are later Event ID's from the Windows Installer about being successful.

Unsuccessful reinstallation:

Event ID 1817 (WHS Connector service started successfully)
Event ID 1794 (Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.) I don't understand this as the reinstallation does successfully connect me to the server to log in.
Event ID 1807 (Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer HPSERVER1 uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established.) This same message above didn't cause the reinstallation to fail.
Event ID 1042 (Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.msi. Client Process Id: 9516)
Event ID 11708 (Product: Windows Home Server Connector --Installation failed.)
Event ID 1033 (Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Home Server Connector. Product Version: 6.0.3436.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1602.)
Event ID 1818 (The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped successfully.)
Event ID 11724 (Product: Windows Home Server Connector -- Removal completed successfully.)

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is my 2 cents.
First make sure smb1 is installed from the add remove windows features in the problem PC.
You need this in addition to smb2
Then completely uninstall the HP and MS connector apps in the pc then try again.
Sometimes the installer will not completely uninstall the apps that failed or are being replaced.
During the install I would turn off any anti virus program
And the best place to install the connector is from the server.
It will have the correct current version that matches the server version.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:15 pm 

All four of the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature lines were/are turned on.

Uninstalled the HP MediaSmart server. Couldn't uninstall the Connector because it wasn't/isn't installed, which is the reason for my post, or am I not understanding what you wanted me to uninstall?

Turned off my firewall and other protective software.

Double clicked on setup.exe on the WHS server.

Unfortunately, got the same result, that is, successfully installed the HP MediaSmart server, but the Connector installation part failed with "This operation cannot be completed at this time" after I supplied the password for logging into the WHS server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay the problem might be in the connection settings on win10.
First the pc should be on a private network and network discovery should be turned on.
You can view them by clicking on the taskbar internet icon then click on network and internet settings.
It should show if it is public or private.
Then the fun part.
Under that if your network is public change it by clicking on change connection properties.
Make it private if it is not.
Then go back to the original screen and select sharing options
Make sure for private it is set for discoverable.
and turn on automatic setup of network devices.

Of course you will need to reboot.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:14 pm 

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but any ideas on installing the WHS connector from the server software on a Windows 10 system? I can access the software on the server but it will not install giving me the message that it cannot be installed on a 64 bit system.

I have it successfully running on three other computers, all running Windows 10.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:02 pm 

Hi! I have the exact same problem when installing the WHS connector on two of my updated/new installed W10 PC. The WHS connector client will not accept my pw when installing. I tried running the setup pgm both from the server and with a local copy. I get the same error. I am able to connect to the Server and have access to the shared folders and have two other PC that are online (running w10 (upgraded) and the WHS connector), however I cant get the connector to install on the new installed W10 PC . I hope that there are someone in the community that can help us out.
Thanks!/Peter

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:02 pm 

I am having a similar problem. My old WHS became unstable so I installed it on a Dell Optiplex 9020. Because of problems locating drivers for the onboard network adapter, I installed a wireless USB. I reran the WHS connector on laptop A (a Windows 10 PC) and everything went fine including the first backup. After that I

Added a second drive
    Successfully installed a PCI-E network card
    Had WHS add the second drive
    Changed the time zone on the WHS server to Eastern (was Pacific)

I than ran the connector software on laptop B (Windows 10), it found the WHS server, but after entering the password I got a message saying "The operation cannot be completed at this time". I see nothing in the WHS event viewer but in the laptop event viewer I see a warning for HomeServer that says "Server ID is not set yet". Same result on laptop C (Windows 10).

I just did a manual backup on laptop A and it's still working fine. This is my 4th install of WHS server but I've never seen this happen before.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 pm 

One other thing: where is the WHS troubleshooter?

Thanks