It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you in advance for any help to reconnect to my HP EX475 WHSv1. It has been running reliably since 2009. (Obviously over that time I have replaced failed drives, increased the RAM to 2Gb and replaced the button cell battery every few years.)

Problem:

To free up some space I used the WHS console to remove the backups of some old machines and started a database cleanup. This took several hours but once finished the EX475 fell into a boot cycle and would not restart. After exploring several options I decided a server restore was the only solution. (Note, this is not the reset option... this is the ZAP everything option). I still have the original v1.1 disks for my HP EX475 and ran the Server Recovery Disc. My server was located and everything went perfectly with the EX475 rebooting and the LEDs colored purple as expected. So far, so good.

I then used the Software installation disc to reinstall the HP MSS Tools and WHS connector, but that immediately failed with a warning that it will not run on 64 bit OS (I have Windows 10 64-bit).

Then I tried to visit http://hpserver:55000 to download the software but I get the following error...

The HPSERVER is in my File Explorer so I open it to go to the Software share but I am them asked to enter a username and password for the HPSERVER. Remember, at this point I have not installed WHS connector so I have not been asked for a password. I tried various different passwords for the Administrator user (including blank) but nothing worked.

I then tried to RDC to HPSERVER and successfully connected but of course I was again presented with a logon dialog.

Does anyone know what the default credentials are for WHS v1?

I then remembered that I had a backup of the Software share and found the Home Server Connector software. This contains WHSConnector_x64.msi dated January 2011. I ran the setup and everything looked to be going great.

All the HP tools successfully install and then it starts to install the WHS Connector.

It successfully finds my hpserver and then asks if I want to wake it up to perform a backup.

This is where everything goes wrong. Once I click "Next" the dialog goes blank, the title bar intermittently shows Not Responding and then after 3 minutes I get an unknown network error.

I have tried installing multiple times with different choices but I consistently and repeatedly get the same failure.

My assumption is that the more recent WHS Connector software that I have does not like the original WHS v1 server software?? Note: I did upgrade to all the free updates provided by HP but never upgraded to the v3 software.

What have I done to help myself?

In addition to all of the above, I have searched this board. I did find a post from 2017 with a link to a potentially more recent server recovery ISO but alas it is now a 404 error. I also found some great instructions at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14784 (thank you @lioninstreet) and I will be following these once I get connected to my EX475.

I also tried using the Credentials Manager on my Win10 machine to create a recognised login to my HPSERVER but that didn't work. (If that should have worked then I may have done something wrong).

Just in case I also replaced the button cell battery.

Can you help please?

At this point I am now stuck. I can only see two options; 1) get a more recent server recovery iso that will work with my WHS Connector software from 2011, or 2) Install WinXP 32 bit onto a VM or old laptop and run my original WHS connector from there. I'm not sure how to source the software for either of these.

Maybe you have other ideas?

I really like my HP EX475 and want to keep it running for as long as I can. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind Regards

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My apologies if you see duplicates of this message. I got an SQL error when posting and did not realise the posting worked. I have asked the admin to remove the other two duplicate posts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:31 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is what I know for a ex490
The default server name is HPSTORAGE.
The default rdc user is administrator Password is what was set by you.(Yes I know you have not set it yet.)
As far as using the backup connector file:
It will probably will not work till the server updates to powerpack 3.
Each server version has it's own connector version.
That is why when you reset the server the connector works for a bit till it updates on its own or you do it manually.
Then you need to re-install the connector after each update.
I replaced the battery and psu on my ex490 less than a year ago then performed a factory reset with a win10 (64) home version client without issue.
Now what I can tell you is the initial reset and connector install was done with the server direct connected to the client with no router or switch between them.
After the server updated I re-installed the connector
There are usually at least two hp updates and several ms updates.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I finally got everything working and thought I would provide an update on the root cause.

The problem was that I initially ran the Server Recovery Disk on Windows 10 64-bit. While it seemed to work correctly, the WHS Connector did not. Ultimately I had to install WinXP 32-bit on an old netbook and re-ran the Server Recovery Disk from there. This time there was a second step which setup and configured the SmartServer. That didn't happen before. Additionally, the original Software Installation disk also worked because I was using a 32-bit OS.

So with a configured MSS and working WHS Connector software, I was then able to update everything. That took a very long time as there were a lot of updates for WinXP and Win2k3... though I was pleasantly surprised that the HP Update still worked and downloaded PP1, PP2 then PP3, etc.

I still have a few things to reconfigure but fundamentally everything is working again and my MSS is happily backing up my family PCs and laptops again :-)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank captainsemtex for this post
yakuza