It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi all,

What's the latest 2TB drive that can be used in an EX485? I currently have WD20EARX, 2 WD20EZRX and 1 WD20EZRZ. The oldest is 7.5 years old and think of replacing it ahead of failure. I also have a need for some drives for an EX485 for my son.

Any issues with current drives and Advanced Format alignment? I seem to recall that I had to align the earlier models but the WD20EZRZ at least showed as aligned.

Thanks in advanced!

Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

wd reds non pro are perfect.
I had issues with one wd red pro.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:02 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The reds spin a little slower and also run a few degrees cooler because of it. Access time take a bit of a hit though. But if you need to fully stock up on storage, your server is in a warm area, or you're running something like a q9550s, those cooler running drives are a better choice.

Whatever you get make sure the drive doesn't have head parking and the drive has either 512e or 512n sectors.

I'm currently running two 2tb wd Golds which are the 7200rpm style. These are data center rated with 2x the MTBF rating (2m MTBF, .44 AFR%) as the Reds & Red Pros. I understand the Gold's were discontinued in 2018. But WD purchased Hitachi and these drives are now branded as HGST Ultrastar.

My setup has one drive on the bottom and one in slot 3 to try and separate the heat. but am really close to adding a third drive to slot 4 as my storage is showing at 75% with duplication on.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Last edited by lioninstreet on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

After a bit more research it looks like the Hatachi HGST brand is now dead after being folded into WD. While the Hitachi brand is no more (I remember coveting their 15k rpm enterprise HDD's back in the day), the Ultrastar marketing name lives on under the WD banner. These are data center drives, the 2tb unit is the DC HA210. Marketing material states it is designed specifically for legacy applications (32 bit OS).

The good news is WD's enterprise division began marketing the WD2005fbyz Gold's again in 9/19, just the units product label has changed. The newer 2tb model appears to have the same specs as the 2018 model.

And the only published difference between the two models appears to be the Ultrastar is using 512 native sectors & the Gold using 512 emulation. The Ultrastar is a bit less known, and you can find it for less $$$

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
wd reds non pro are perfect.
I had issues with one wd red pro.

lioninstreet wrote:
Whatever you get make sure the drive doesn't have head parking and the drive has either 512e or 512n sectors.

Thanks guys! So does the WD20EFRX meet those requirements?

Speed isn't an issue as I've had no issues with the models that I have installed which are all 5400rpm drives.

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:22 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Maybe Ruben has a direct answer on this since he prefers the reds.

The WD spec sheet:
https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... 800022.pdf

only shows they are advance format (which usually means they are 4k instead of 512e or 512n). If that is correct they may not work without a hotfix. Barring a definite answer, you would have to email WD customer support to verifiy if what the format exactly is.

Below is a link to a MSS article on using AF drives with WHSv1

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12 ... me-server/

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Sorry, I'm very familiar with that process having gone through that with all my current drives which are Advanced Format drives (EARX, EZRX and EZRZ). I used the WD Align tool to align at least the original EARX drive back in 2012 (system disk replacement) and possibly also the 2 EZRX drives but I recall that the EZRZ drive did not require it. I assume it came with and is using 512-byte emulation (512e?) since the WD Align tool showed it to be aligned.

Ruben,

Does the WD Align tool show the EFRX drive as aligned? (I'd past a picture but looks like you have to link an image here).

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The WD20EFRX is what I use and nave never had a issue.
No alignment is needed for whs1 nor jumpers, it is plug and play.
I think the specs say something that it is advanced format but never had to do anything other that open box and insert in hp490 server

Now the wdred pro I bought for a internal backup drive which is 3TB @7200rpm ran hot and went raw I ran diskpart and chkdsk and repaired it and then it went raw again in a matter of months.

Amazon right now has the WD20EFRX for $78.99

I use wdred now exclusively for my nas, towerraid and hp server in sizes from 2TB to 4TB.
Desktop is another story. Which are SSD

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks