It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

All,

I found out as that our EX485 was out of space due to backups not being cleaned up per the retention schedule. I found that each time the cleanup task runs, the service crashes with the following.

Reporting queued error: faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x0001dcd1.

Database repair runs without any issues and there are no drive errors being reported (also have the SMART add-in which shows no issues on the 4 drives).

In addition to the 3 active PC's that we have, I also still had the last backups from 4 older PC's that I was keeping in case I ever needed to restore something that was missed in the moves to newer PC's. I was able to restore the data from all of those to an external USB hard drive for long term retention now with the exception of the C drive for one of them which reaches 81% on opening backup and then reports a "Cannot mount the backup" error (Z drive appears but then goes away after this error). This happens for any of the backups for this drive. The D drive backup restored fine. I'm not seeing any other errors besides the service crashing and chkdsk run fine.

I've gone ahead deleted the backups from the other 3 older PC's but the service is still crashing so certainly possible that the service crashing and the cannot mount issue are related and I may have to resign myself to not have the C drive backup for this PC, but hopefully someone here may have some other suggestions to try and recover that drive and also to stop the clean service from crashing.

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So what is your free space now?
And what is the largest backup file size?
If you open a backup there needs to be at least that much space plus some buffer space.
So if a backup takes 900GB there should be more than that available.
And that can be hard to see before hand.

My 2 cents

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
So what is your free space now?
And what is the largest backup file size?
If you open a backup there needs to be at least that much space plus some buffer space.
So if a backup takes 900GB there should be more than that available.
And that can be hard to see before hand.

My 2 cents

Right it's not a backup problem though. The problem is with the cleanup process which keeps crashing.

Free space is down to 36GB now since the cleanup process keeps failing and I now have backups going back to July 1, 2017 which should only go back 3 months with my retention policies. Backups didn't start failing until the disk space ran low. Hadn't noticed earlier as the nice thing about WHS is it just works as far as backup goes. :)

Apparently the clean up did make a little progress before crashing after I delete the other 3 older PC's where I recovered the data as I'm getting successful backups on the 2 PC's that are online at the moment but that doesn't really help with the problem. :(

I'm afraid that I'll need to just give up on trying to recover the C drive on the one older PC and purge/reset the database and hopefully that will resolve the clean up crashing issue.

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well you still need temp storage space even if deleting a backup.
Windows will need the space of the item being deleted to store it during the delete.
36GB is very small.
In fact that probably is what happened when the server tried to auto purge over the years.
Not enough free space.
You could try a usb drive added to the server on a temporary basis.
Just make sure it is large enough.

One other thing to try is cleanup your server first.
It will take rdp but clear out all the event logs and run defrag.
Maybe you could just get by with just barely enough free space.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Bulkhead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey Ruben,

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you in this thread. I am a LOOONG TIME WHS user and I've gotten tremendous help from these forums over the years. I am dealing with a power issue on my server now and just out of curiosity, poked my head back in this (formerly very active) forum to see if there was still activity.

Between you and Guardion you guys have helped a bunch of us out over the years.

Thanks again for sharing your time and expertise over so many years!

B

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
Well you still need temp storage space even if deleting a backup.
Windows will need the space of the item being deleted to store it during the delete.
36GB is very small.
In fact that probably is what happened when the server tried to auto purge over the years.
Not enough free space.
You could try a usb drive added to the server on a temporary basis.
Just make sure it is large enough.

One other thing to try is cleanup your server first.
It will take rdp but clear out all the event logs and run defrag.
Maybe you could just get by with just barely enough free space.

Why do you think that it needs temp storage space to delete a backup? Standard Windows file deletes do not store a copy during a delete.

When the service first started crashing there was several TB's of disk space free so that would seem unlikely to be a database issue. I've already reviewed the server disk space via console (as well as the WHS logs to see if that might point to any other cause for the process/service crashing during the clean-up task but no luck).

Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 am 
Founder
Founder

I suspect the backup database has corruption, possibly due to running out of space at some point. Resetting the backup database should likely resolve the issue with the service crashing. My BDBB Add-In makes it easy to take a backup of your current database (if you want) and also to delete the current database if you don't want to do it manually.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

yakuza wrote:
I suspect the backup database has corruption, possibly due to running out of space at some point. Resetting the backup database should likely resolve the issue with the service crashing. My BDBB Add-In makes it easy to take a backup of your current database (if you want) and also to delete the current database if you don't want to do it manually.

There you go.
But anytime windows edits saves or deletes a file it creates a temp file during the process. In case it crashes. Due to storage space or memory limits
If you exceeded your storage space or memory then it can get corrupted.
It is supposed to delete the file when finished but sometimes it does not.

If you don't find a way to increase your storage space it will just start over again.
That is why I suggested to rdp to the server and do a cleanup.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks