It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: CPU Temp kinda High
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Sounds like any data transfer hit doing a client backup with a 5400 rpm drive isn't that big of a deal. Those backups don't take that long anyhow maybe 10-20 min each. Not to mention as you said, they run lot's cooler.

What is causing me grief is the time it takes to backup my shares and client backups. My shares alone are over 1TB and the clients are another 350GB to 400GB. So even with the 7200 rpm drives, It's taking days to back those up this, even with eSATA. And frankly, that's why I'm exploring moving everything to SSD.

In the mean time, I'll keep working to get what I have running as cool as I can. My ex490 was actually new in 2016 when I upgraded from the 470 so with any luck I can get the same 10 years out of it that you did.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

By the way, by simply removing the back cover of the MSS (combined with dual heat sink fans and bios at optimum & the Q8200s) peak temps dropped 1c-2c to a steady 54c on cores 1 & 4 (always the hottest ones), idle temps pretty much the same (40c-41c).

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Not that it matters, but stock cpu in the Ex-490 and x-500 is Intel® Pentium® Dual-CoreTM E-5200.
But sounds like you are getting it sorted out.
Good luck and enjoy.

I try to keep my 9 clients bare minimum on file storage so the backups are very fast.
All 9 will be backed up in an hour +/-.
9 win 7 clients. No win10.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Guardian,
Good to see you lurking around. I have similar results backing up my clients. It all happens pretty quick. Just curious, when you backup your shares and use BDBB, how much data are you backing up and how long is that taking?

Your mention of the Pentium E-5200 reminded me of the suprising benchmarks I saw when I was checking out the Passmark CPU benchmarks. The Pentium dual core 5 & 6 series benchmarks are at least 30% better than the same series of Core2 benchmarks! Who knew?

Unfortunately Passmark scores were not there for the "s" series Q8 & Q9 quad cores, but the L5 xeon's and L3 xeon's are there and so are the standard Q8 & 9's.

So I just picked up a 50w L-5430 with the LGA775 mod done for $20., figuring I would do the bios mod and give it a shot for lower temps. Benches are at least 25% better than the Q-8400 and most likely 30%+ better than the 65w Q-8200s I'm currently using.

So even if temps with the L-5430 end up the same as my Q-8400s, I know I can dial back the chip to a L-5410 that still out benches the Q8, keep the better 12mb L2, and run cooler than the Q-8400s.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Last edited by lioninstreet on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just though of this.
The drive trays have a fold able flap in the back. So that on a empty bay you fold it up to block air flow on a empty bay and force the rest of the air through the bays with drives.
Have you checked them?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yes, all flaps down. But thinking about it, I probably don't need the empty trays to be installed in the server at all. Will pull them out and see if that has any effect.

In the mean time, I did try staggering the drives swapping the data drive from slot 1 to slot 2 to get more air flow around the OS drive (so no drives in slot 1 or 3).

Now OS (primary in bottom slot 0) drive is averaging 38c - 39c. So at least the temperature nag stopped, but that's still far to hot for my liking. The data drive is 34c at idle and 36c backing up.

The case fans I'm currently running are a pair of Artic F8 PWM rev2's. They are supposedly high CFM/low pressure (ideal for case use). Just for kicks, I just picked up a pair of Noctua NF-A8 PWM's with a similar high CFM/low pressure profile. Not sure if they will change much temp wise, but we're gonna find out.

I'll do this case fan test without using the pair of 30mm CPU fans in place (pictured). This to get a better idea how effective one is over the other.

Attachments:
P1120089.JPG
P1120089.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 12481 times ]

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 am 
Founder
Founder

Empty trays should stay in the server with the flaps up to direct airflow across drives and mainboard.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Echo what yakuza said.

Empty bays should have the flap folded up to block air flow to the fan so it will suck air through what bays have drives inserted.
As well as it should provide more air flow everywhere else.

If you have the flaps down on empty bays then there is less restriction and most of the circulation will bypass the active bays and MB.

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FOLD THE FLAP BECAUSE IT IS JUST A THIN JOINT ON THE PLASTIC AND YOU CAN SNAP THEM OFF.
As far as I know there are no replacements to purchase other than by chance on ebay.

FYI,
You can't fold the flap up with a drive in the bay caddie.

BTW,
temps in the 30c range are probably the best you will ever get.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Interesting, I did not know that.

It makes sense that a restriction in an empty drive bay would direct airflow around the installed drives more effectively, but this is the exact opposite of what I was thinking would improve air flow thru the case.

As long as there are mechanical HDD's installed, running drive 0 down in the lower 30's instead of up near 40c seems like cheap life extension insurance. Will reset flaps on slot 1 & 3 and give it a shot so slot 0 and 2 get more airflow.

I'm still getting used to seeing the bottom and second from the top drive lights on instead of the bottom two. But the swap cut 2c off of the OS drives operating temp, even with the flaps down. And no worries on the human error warning. I have a few extra drive cages lying around just in case of fat finger mistakes.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't use BDBB, I don't trust the backups that much anyway.
I'm backing up about 500 gig.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Flaps up, now idling at 36c - 37c on the OS (drive 0) 32c on the data (drive 2). More progress. Q8200s CPU idle at 39c - 40c, peak temps 54c.

It will be interesting to see how low we can go.

Guardian,
If not WHS, what are you using to back up your terminals with? And your shares?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Last edited by lioninstreet on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As I stated with clients with win 10.
I went with easeus todo backup.
It is free you can use it to create a working pxe boot drive on a flash drive.
And send backups to shares on whs1.

For server backups I use the native backups in readynas and backup to a win 10 storage space.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Why the heck is the http 500 error showing here?

damn now it is gone!

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Flaps up, now idling at 36c - 37c on the OS (drive 0) 32c on the data (drive 2). More progress. Q8200s CPU idle at 39c - 40c, peak temps 54c.

Added a Prime 95 blended test using the dual heat sink fans, bios on optimal, and above setup. After 10-15 minutes at 100% CPU use temps capped out at 63c-64c. I think that is pretty good considering I started all this idling around this same temp with the Q9550s and the Q8200s is only about 11% Futuremark performance hit.

But I noticed that earlier, when I had the case fans set to full in BIOS they would run at around 2500 rpm. During this test they would only peak at 2000. Although I did notice that at 2000, the OS drive was running a few degrees cooler, even with the CPU throwing off more heat. Looks like my added heat sink fans are really making a difference.

So I think I'll swap in those Noctua case fans I picked up, check those out, and then start playing with BIOS to get the fans to ramp up earlier and run at full sooner.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Last edited by lioninstreet on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I do use WHS V1 and I do backup my clients, but I tell my clients not to store data on their systems so 1) they backup faster, 2) I don't really trust the backups.
As far as the shares, I sync-toy that data to a second server running WHS v1 monthly and I do a Non-pooled backup about every 6 months.
So I normally have 3-4 copies of my Shares.

As far as the clients backups, if something happened to them I have Images of them from when they were new and loaded.
I would just replace the hard drive and re-place the image, they could find their data on the server.
I just do the backups just in case somebody gets ransome-ware and gets locked out or deletes something they are working on local.

Sounds like you are getting yours sorted out, good to hear. These little servers were/are one of the best things HP ever did. And WHS V1 was one of the best things Microsoft abandoned. :crazy:
Good Luck and enjoy

Thanks