It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm 

Hi, all. I'm so happy this resource exists and is still somewhat active years after Microsoft stopped selling WHS.

I have an ancient HP EX490. I added a lot of external USB/eSata drives as it filled up. It kept chugging along for years and years as our PCs came and went.

However, I now no longer have Windows 7 or XP computers (all are 10), and I can't connect to the WHS. It was also showing signs of problems when I was last able to access it, such as error log messages saying it couldn't start the backup service.

I now want to get all of these backups off of it and only my shiny new 4-bay NAS, with four 10 TB drives; I plan to use RAID (5 or 10 I guess; haven't figured that part out yet).

Although I was generally also backing up to the cloud (CrashPlan), it turns out that there are a lot of old, precious files that apparently weren't backed up. I don't know what happened.

I don't need multiple versions of the backed-up files; the latest files are fine.

I think that I have all of the files from the regular storage pool, but it would be good to check.

Any ideas? Can I add a VGA card, etc., log on to the machine locally, and then somehow restore the files to the NAS? Of course, this assumes that the system will actually still boot to Windows.

Or is there some way to get Windows 10 to attach to it? The WHS Connector software seems not to work.

Or is there a reasonably-priced way to get a professional to do this? I live in the SF Bay Area, and I'd be happy to pay someone to do this for me.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
jbod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Backups are not view able outside of the server to grab and copy.
The only way is in the console ,then you can open backups and copy them.
If there is another way I have never heard of one.

The data pool files are stored in view able folders.
Take them out including your os drive.
Plug them into a desktop ,set file explorer to view hidden files and folders.
Poof there they are.
Now you will need to drill down at least one folder.
as far as your os drive if there is any data it will be in the data partition.
Now if you have duplication on you will have duplicates and there is no way to figure that out because a file may be on drive 1 and 2 and another file may be on drive 3 and 1.
If you could connect to the server you could turn off duplication wait a couple of days and they will be gone.

I have a ex490 on whs1 and I use win 10 home,pro 32 and 64 bit they all work fine for backups.
Laptop- gave me some grief when it is on battery only

That said possibly you have a bad drive causing the issue. try unplugging all the pool drives boot it and try to connect.
It will have errors stating the drives are missing but will still let you connect.
If you do connect you can plug the drives in until it barks.
If it is the os drive that is bad then you are hosed because if you run recovery it will delete the backups. but you could try chkdsk and see if it repairs the disk.

If you can't connect reinstall the connector and the hp app on the pc. If you can connect to the server files and run the connector from there.instead of the cd that will ensure you get the correct copy of the connector.
Try in your browser http://servername or https://servername

You can also try remote desktop to connect to the server. If you can you can try the console from there.
use file explorer on your pc select networks right click on your servers icon select remote desktop connection.
It will bark about a bad ssl certificate just allow it.
Oh, to login on remote desktop username is administrator password is your master password.
If remote desktop is your only connection to use to copy with if you can't get the server working correctly.
You will need a drive connected to the server to copy to.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
jbod
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm 

Thanks a lot. These sound like great ideas.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If the 490 is working at all, you should be able to see it on the network and when you double click on it , win 10 should ask for a username and password which would have been the username and password of one of the user accounts or you might be able to login as administrator / password.
That should get you the the shares.

But, the best thing about WHS V1 is if all else fails you can pull the drives and access file directly, per Ruben Rocha suggestion.

The WHS backups are weak at best, they only work if the system is 100% and then they can only be accessed by WHS.
That is why I have all my clients keep their files in the user folders on the server and have the backups on just in case all else fails. This keeps the backups small/fast, I as well only keep the last couple of backups.

Good Luck and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks