It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 am 

The intent of this post is not to go into the gory details of a WHS v1 restore. It is to recount my crazy 5 days to restore my server before I knew what I was getting into.
Also, I got so much help from this and other sites that I thought it would be a share to waste this crazy learning curve and not contribute to the MSS world.
If you have kept your WHS v1 over the many windows iterations, and now you want to start fresh in the new Win 10 world, read through this guide before you jump into the muck.

First, I did something stupid. I fished around my home server RDP session and clicked on some switch in the firewall. DO NOT DO THIS. I lost all communication with the server and hence my peril. BTW, prior to this, my xp's, vista's, 7's 8's, and even 10s interfaced with the server well so I didn't even blink to think that there would be so many issues in getting my service back.

The EX470 that I own came with 3 disks, 2 of which I located. The server restore disk went into one of my win 10 machines. After the red blue flashes and the paperclip push, I got the software to recognize the server and it went about with its installation.

Not being very knowledgeable about the process, I allowed it to continue unmanned and it installed swimmingly. However, there was no prompt to set the server name or password.

So after the unmanned install, I went looking for disk 3 which I realized later was a waste for this stage of my horror because it was for the pc restore, not the server restore.

This is where the horror begins. The 2 disks come with a 32 bit server connector. This will not work on Windows 10.

I recalled that I downloaded a 64 bit connector previously. I located the file, but all it did was want to go back to the server for a download for which there was no such file.

After much research, I decided that I needed an XP machine. First, you obviously need a 32 bit XP OS. I had an old XP desktop which I found would not boot.

So I had the bright idea to create a virtual machine. Luckily I have XP sp2 iso's which I put into Hyper - V. If you don't know what this is, it is virtual machine already on your windows 10 machine, at least my pro version. BTW, spoiler alert. Use XP SP3.

You must set the virtual switch to legacy and external when you setup your XP VM. Do not use the default switch. Again, I don't have the bandwidth here to give you all the details. Google is your friend.

Anyway, found that the VM and my host machine would not talk, and found that XP implemented network sharing in SP3!!!! So, I upgraded the Hyper V to SP3.

Finally, I got the VM copy of XP, now SP3, to latch onto a network, albeit it wouldn't connect to websites... something about DNS issues.

Could not for the life of me log into RDS without a password. Again, I never got a server rename and new password prompt on the restore. I did see the default name for the server was \\hpserver and that it was now being recognized. However, clicking on the icon in Network on the windows 10 machine resulted in a webpage insisting that I go back to my CD for the connector software. Again, that disk only has the 32 bit version. Also, I remembered that the site referred to downloaded off a link (\\hpserver:55000). However, this was not visible on the screen.

So I did another restore on the VM machine, and only then did I see the prompts. I quickly named my WHS and set a password.

This is uber important because this also allowed me to RDS now into the WHS. I now had 2 points of attack into the WHS, the VM connector setup, and now RDS from the Windows 10 machine.
BTW, I did install the server connector program off of disk 2 on the XP VM and it took like a champ.

What is important here is that you need the WHS to do a full windows update with 152 updates. Only after multiple tries via RDP, and the controller on the WHS controlled on the VM (Hyper V and VM and XP used interchangeably here), I got it fully upgraded after multiple restarts.

After all these restarts, the web page that I saw after clicking on the now \\myserver icon (I named it myserver) in networks did show the link to download the connector software from the server. However, it only led me down another rabbit hole as it gave me a server error.

Again, luckily, I had the only connector app that I had sitting in one of my download folders. Prior to the window updates, the app failed me. This time, it recognized the server, made the necessary upgrades, and installed the connector on my Win 10 machine.

I thought finally! However, on right clicking the home server task bar icon on the bottom right, I received error after error and no ability to access the shared drives. I was able to log into the console.

After more research, found this site. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7300439771

This guy is way smarter than me so I will quote:

The reason you cannot access your WHS v1 file share is because as of Windows 10, version 1709 or later, Microsoft has disabled the SMB v1 protocol by default. This is how you used to connect to your WHS. See article here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/hel ... rsion-1709

Microsoft, of course, recommends that you leave this off, especially on laptops or other devices that may connect to "hostile" networks. However, for my home devices I don't worry about it too much. You can re-enable SMB v1. I don't recommend it for security reasons, but if you want to experiment and see if this is the reason, here's what I did to re-enable...full explanation and steps are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ows-server

You will do all these steps on the Windows 10 machine that cannot connect. Nothing to be done on the WHS box.

1. Start a power shell as administrator. Run this command:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol

2. Run the "Turn Windows Features on or off" in the control panel. Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. Expand, then turn on (check) "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client". Make sure the "Automatic Removal" is not clicked.

3. Reboot.

4. Test. Worked for me.

Read the linked articles above and make sure you understand what's going on. Good luck!

I now have access again to the server. Phew.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank smge1lc for this post
lioninstreet

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:02 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Wow! Loosing network access on a headless server sure sounds like something that would ruin your whole day!

And thanks for the reminder on SMB1. That's a key reference. More than a handful of us diehard v1 users have run into this issue on w10 terminals unknowingly thanks to the spring '18 "update" noted here. :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14663

After sorting this out, your back to rockin' a nice solid little server.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks