It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 am 

I can no longer access my server. When I try to log in through the console it takes my password but the progress dialog disappears and I'm left with just the blue splash screen. When trying to remote in it denies me. I can ping the server. I can't access the shared folders through the client (wont take my credentials).

The really odd thing is I can access the shared folders and browse via network in windows explorer but if I try and access a file it says the device is not connected. However if I try and open an image the picture shows up momentarily and then disappears giving me an error of cant display. I cant copy or paste to any of the shares either.

Everything was working up until last week some time. Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Welcome and sorry to hear you are having problems.
A few general questions that will help:
1) Do you know which server it is EX470 EX-487 Ex-495
2) how many hard drives do you have in it and what brand/size are they? I'm assuming they are all pooled drives (one large drive)
3) do you have duplication turned on for your shared folders?
4) do you have some kind of backup of the data that you can't lose outside of the server? Cloud? non-pooled drives? External harddrives usb/esata?
5) did you have the Free Smart addin installed?
6) do you have a usb to sata dock so you can pull a drive and attach it to another pc to check it? FYI, always mark the bottom drive if you take it out because it has to be in the bottom bay.
7) do you have the 3 cd's that came with the server?

It sounds like one of a few things. Since you can ping it the nic is most likely ok.
1) A bad drive can cause the system to do strange things.
2) sometimes the OS gets filled up with junk files and error logs and runs out of room to work.
3) cable/switch/port on router going bad?

Let us know some of these things and we can suggest some stuff to do.
At this time I would NOT try to perform a recovery.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:34 pm 

Thanks for your help.
1) Do you know which server it is EX470 EX-487 Ex-495
I don't recall which server it is (it wasn't the first generation).
2) how many hard drives do you have in it and what brand/size are they? I'm assuming they are all pooled drives (one large drive)
I have 4 drives WD and Seagate all 1TB. I think they are all pooled, although I might have set up one drive for server backups?
3) do you have duplication turned on for your shared folders?
Yes
4) do you have some kind of backup of the data that you can't lose outside of the server? Cloud? non-pooled drives? External harddrives usb/esata?
I don't have a 'complete' backup of the data (In theory I copy to a external drive periodically, but in reality I'm lazy)
5) did you have the Free Smart addin installed?
No
6) do you have a usb to sata dock so you can pull a drive and attach it to another pc to check it? FYI, always mark the bottom drive if you take it out because it has to be in the bottom bay.
No
7) do you have the 3 cd's that came with the server?
Yes

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

when you open the console there is a options link that gives you a option to reset the console .
Just below the password field.
Try that.
Next is install the SMART addin and see if a drive is going bad.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:36 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It's my understanding from his first post that he can not access the server via connector or rdp.
If that is the case, you really only have three things you can do.
1) try a different cat5 cable, try a different port on the switch/router try rebooting the server, most likely it will not help, but sometimes ya got to start with the basics.
2) Reboot the server, even if you have to hold the rear power button for 4-5 seconds and force a shutdown. Normally just press and release the power button will shut it down after a bit.
3) order/pickup a usb to sata dock (they come in handy to create backups and test drives and copy data) if the above stuff doesn't get you any closer, next step is to pull one drive at a time, attach to another pc and run diskcheck and see if you have a bad drive. Chances are pretty high that you do.
3) if the bottom drive (OS drive is bad then you will need a replacement drive 1-2 tb. I would recommend a western digital blue/black/red but I hear the Toshiba drives work well also.
4) then it will be time to run a server recovery with all the other (Good) drives in place.

But before you do that let us know how your disks are with the diskcheck. If you can fix a drive or two with diskcheck you might be able to get it running long enough to get the Free Smart addin installed and then it will tell you which drives are going bad and which drives are ok.
Good Luck Hopefully only the seagate (OS) drive is bad and this would be a great time to upgrade to a 2 tb main drive to give you extra space in the future.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

racerx wrote:
I can no longer access my server. When I try to log in through the console it takes my password but the progress dialog disappears and I'm left with just the blue splash screen.

That is why I suggested to use the console reset option.
It might just give him access to the console again.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:15 am 

Thanks for your help. I finally got a sata adapter and found the bad drive.

I still can't access any files in the shares and backup isn't working. I assume the procedure now is to get a new drive, plug it in, remove the old one via the software and everything should work. Is there any gotchas I should know about?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, your close.
Since you can not access the console, you will need to pull that bad drive and then reboot and then see if you can access the console. Hopefully yes, it will be having a fit because it will know a drive is missing, you can tell the console that the drive is gone, then reboot again and let the system run for awhile and try to level out the files. It may end up telling you your out of space or low on space. Then it would be a good time to add the new drive "to the pool" and then let it run for awhile and rebuild, hopelessly you will be back running.

As soon as you can get access to the console, download the free addin Smart and get it running so you can see how the other drives are doing. It is a must have in my book.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

The problem is we are not sure how all your drives are setup. And we don't know if the bad drive is pooled or backup.
If it was setup for a server backup drive, then yes, you would try to "remove" it in the console and if it can't, then pull it and tell the console it is gone and then replace it and run new backups.

If it is a pooled drive, again, if you can not "remove" the bad drive in the console, then all you can do is pull it and tell the system that it is gone. Then give the server over night to try and settle in.
If it says you are low or out of room, then you will need to add the new drive, most likely add it to the pool and then let the system have over night to level all the files out and all should be well. Hopefully..
This is assuming Duplication was turned on for all your shared folders, it isn't by default.

Good Luck, that dock will come in handy more then you know. :-) I have 2 of them.

P.S. It goes without saying, I would hang onto that bad drive just in case.
Will it work at all in the Dock? If it does, you might still have files on it that you might need.
P.S.S Once you are back up and running, I would get a complete backup of our data, then purchase a new 2tb black/blue/red WD drive and run a recovery to replace the system drive. Then as the budget permits I would start buying more of the same drives ( 2tb) and replacing one drive at a time. That way you may olny need 3 drives in the server and you could use the forth slot for a server backup drive.

Again, Good Luck.

Thanks