It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:28 pm 

Where do I go or How do I go about finding drivers to put on an USB stick to do a PC Restore. For my Windows 10 pro 64bit. Its a Dell XPS 8900. I have looked around and cant find an answer to my question. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Not sure what type drivers you need to put on the usb stick.(nic,???)
Well it gets a little complicated with win 10.
The driver is just the beginning to find.
Dell may be able to provide a driver since it appears to be a integrated NIC and using efi for the boot..
I found it is easier if you have a older nic card or dongle made for say xp.
Use it instead and disable the integrated nic in bios. The cd will have drivers for them

The real problem is win 10. all the usb ,nic drivers are in the efi boot partition.
When you boot from the cd the drivers for the usb,nic port are not loaded.
So you need to go into the bios and deselect what some call protected mode.
It is a real pain.
when you do disable it on boot you will be prompted where to boot from uefi,master,etc. Not just what drive.
If you elect from uefi then it will bypass the cd.

Then if you are attempting to do a complete pc restore you will need to use the advanced option, due to win 10 has a couple of extra hidden partitions and the backups assume they each are each a different drive letter. So you need to direct them where to go and only the advanced option lets you.

I really find that for win 10 it is easier to just reinstall win 10 from the original disks, then manually open the backups and copy back the data.

What you might try is easus.com and install the free version then create a emergency disk and turn off compatibility mode.
It should install the drivers to the usb stick. I have not tried it but then I have been to lazy to try.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am 

I have included a screen shot. I'm just trying to find (0) Network Devices. In the past I got someone to help me find the Drivers I need for the network so that the computer can see the server and the backups. Its a fresh install of w10 pro with not other programs added yet. Want to make sure I can get the Backup working now before loading it up with all my programs and finding out I cant get to the backups if I need to.

This is the steps I use below just stuck at #6 pic
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12642/r ... me-server/

Attachments:
2017-05-10 21.27.59.pdf [1.94 MiB]
Downloaded 458 times
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That is exactly what I m talking about.
Not only can it not find a driver for the network but I would bet that it can't find the usb drive because those drivers are not loaded either.
I edited my prior post to try easus.com to get a driver.
Since win 8 it is pure hell to do a full restore from a backup. Due to the multiple hidden partitions, which one holds the drivers for the boot up. and most drivers to download are now in a exe file.

On the page you were referencing keep going down the page (image 8?) and it tells you how to get the drivers from a backup.
there is a special folder that you can copy to a usb stick
But still it will not find the usb port due to it needs to load first before the cd.

Again back to my first post about how to get the usb port to work.

I only had to do this once and it was pure hell.
The quickest solution was to use a very old nic I had . the drivers were already on the cd so I did not need a usb stick.
Since then I have not researched it any more on how to make this easier.

Damn microsoft.
Damn win8-10

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
Cram
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

From a guy who refuses to use win10, my 2 cents.
I have my family "clients" keep all their data on the server just for this reason, I don't really trust/use the backups per se I do them just in case someone gets ransomeware, but I will just reload and then they can grab their data back from the server.

Does not help you now I know, but just something to think about.

I load up any new pc that comes in the house, use a Imaging program to grab a base image of it and then let the user/family know that any data on the PC could be lost, so keep it on the server.

I also backup the server to Non-pooled drives and to a second server.

Basically when you go to do a client recovery from a backup you will need the 32 bit drivers,
but as "Ruben Rocha" said, more and more are in exe files and may or may not be able to extract them.
And this is if you are recovering win xp or win 7, Win 8 and 10 are almost not supported for the old servers because the server is end of life when they came out so it is not very easy to recover one, even if you have the server setup to back them up properly, because of all the system partitions as "Ruben Rocha" mentioned.

Not much help but just some thoughts for the future.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks