It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have recently had an issue emerge that I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing it and if so, what you've done to resolve it.

I reluctantly upgraded to Win10 some months ago and if I recall correctly, reinstalled the Windows Connector software to restore my functionality of nightly backups to my EX490. I have gotten backups successfully for months.

Now I have two issues that have arisen.

First, although the WHSTrayApp software loads at computer boot-up, and the icon appears in the system tray, and apparently it kicks off nightly backups correctly, I can no longer open the Windows Home Server Console via the right-click option out of the tray. I can find the app in my start menu and initiate it that way, but it seems odd that it doesn't work from the icon. Anyone have this issue?

Second, upon opening a volume from a backup via the Windows Home Server Console on my client PC, the Windows Explorer window (file manager) appears briefly, then closes without input from me. So in essence, the volume goes through the loading process with the status bar indicating progress, but then very quickly after presenting me with the contents of the volume via the Explorer app, that app closes and halts my recovery of whatever I wanted within the volume.

Now, I have found a simple trick that allows me to recover data from that backup that I'll share.

It requires that I be present at my client machine at the moment the volume finishes loading and the Explorer window is presented to me. In that brief moment, if I click somewhere in that active window, I can keep that window open. I don't understand it yet, but if I do that, I can finish the restoration of whatever file I wanted.

Regarding these problems, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Home Server Connector software without apparent issue, but the problem remains.

Anyone else experience these issues and if so, have you found a solution?

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

as far as opening a backup goes.
It should have prompted you to install software for the virtual drive.
You should have allowed it.
There is a warning not to restart if asked from the server but win 10 needs the application to open the files.

As far as the tray icon ,possibly your copy of win 10 or updates hosed it and maybe you need to delete the connector and reinstall it one more time.
You did not state if you performed a server recovery. But if you did the connector gets out of sync during the server updates and you may need to install it several times. Not forgetting to uninstall it each time.

For me most all of my pc station clients now are on win 10.
And they all work fine.
One item to mention is if you open the connector console below the password is a options link.
Click on that and select reset the windows Home server console, that may help.

BTW,
I don't usually right click on the tray icon, I just double click it.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks Ruben. I appreciate your suggestions.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS connector software on my W10 client twice but the behavior remains the same. When I right click on the WHS Tray icon for the menu and select "Windows Home Server Console" I see the image attached below. I also get this when double-clicking the tray icon.

Again, I CAN start the Windows Home Console from the application entry in the start menu, so it appears to be an issue specific to the tray icon app.

Attachment:
WHS Error.jpg
WHS Error.jpg [ 8.22 KiB | Viewed 6467 times ]

That annoying issue aside, I still have the behavior that I described wherein the requested drive to be restored from a set pops up briefly on my client before disappearing. I've done many, many restore operations from single file recoveries to complete machine restorations so I am very familiar with the behavior (prior to W10) of the WHS system.

It is still frustrating that the behavior exists for me and I am surprised to see that others have not experienced it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am at a loss so I will guess some items compared to my setup.

One is workgroup versus homegroup.
The pc should have the same workgroup name as the server

Homegroup is new as of win10 so the server does not support it.
So make sure your workgroup name is the same.
If you are using homegroup I don't have a clue,mine is turned off.

also your network should be a private network not public to allow the server access to the pc.
you can check that by going to the tray icon for internet,right click and select open network and sharing center.

Also if your os is 64bit there should be a extra program installed for 64bit for the connector. You can look for in in programs and features when you can uninstall programs.

Not sure what else to look at.??????????

BTW I have 3 pc's and one laptop using win10 now some are pro and some are home versions. All do not exhibit the symptoms you have.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I will assume you are reinstalling the connector by using Internet Explore and web address http://servername:55000
and not using the software cd that came with the server???

I do not have Win10, refuse to run it, but I do know running the connector software from the webpage works better for 64 bit pc's in general.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks