It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:28 am 

Hi,

New to this site but not to these servers.

I have had an EX470 running an AMD LE-1640 CPU and 2GB of Ram. I have 4x 2TB WD Green Drives as well.
The fans have been getting noisier and noisier and it struggles to stream videos when doing other tasks.

So I have bought an EX490 which I've already upgraded with a Intel Q8200s Quad Core CPU and is running beautifully.

However, I cannot seem to swap my HDD's across from my 470 to 490. They are both running the same version of Windows Home Server, am I doing something wrong? Do I need to get this VGA adapter cable so I can check the BIOS? Is that what could be stopping it from booting?

So to clarify, I want to move all 4 of my 2TB drives across to the 490 using the C: partition in the first drive to run the 490.

Any help anyone can offer would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Short answer is you can't directly swap your drives from one server to another, even if you keep the bottom drive in the bottom bay and even if it was the same server IE: ex-490 to another ex-490.

Reason I believe is the Nic among other things "certs" etc.

What you can do is with the server recovery disk is preform a recovery (not factory reset) with all drives in place and you should be good to go in a few hours (maybe over night).

That being said, Some have had bad luck with recoveries so I would recommend you have a backup of any data you can't lose. You really should have a backup of all data that is not easily reproduced anyway.

Think power surge taking out all drives at the same time. Or fire or flood or theft. I keep 3 backups one of which is offsite. Over kill I know, but I have 30 years of data that I will not lose :-)

Hope this helps.
Good luck and enjoy. Shout out if you have any questions or concerns.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks