It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm 

Well I thought all was well. The system backed up my computers the little red light went out and it seemed that things were back to normal. Now however I am started having an issue that any time I try to access my computer backups (which I was trying as a test fortunately not because anything died) I get told the system is busy.
It was not in the process of doing any backups but I noticed that it was doing its clean up at the bottom so originally I thought OK I will just wait.

Several days and it is still sitting at 14%. So I did a reboot and it came back with a database error and I at first thought oh oh here we go again but after the repair everything seemed fine until the next Sunday came about and it tried to do its clean up again and once again this time a week later its still at 14% and appears stuck.

I did read that telling the system to reboot in the middle of a clean up or re-balance causes it to keep the data on the drive but lose the connection for the allocation table which eventually leads to the drive full of data that you can not longer access or delete. Unless you start again like Gardian talked about in my original call for help and set me up with bdbb. But I would rather not do that again if its just going to have this new cleanup error. It seems counter productive.

Any thought or suggestions?

Attachments:
whs cleaning up database stuck.JPG
whs cleaning up database stuck.JPG [ 92.43 KiB | Viewed 6864 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:45 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think you have a drive about to go.
I see from your attachment that you have SMART installed.
Does anything show on SMART that would hint that you have a bad drive?

The other odd thing I see from your attachment is it shows two addins install-okay.
but it shows two addins redy to install.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
dialtonejr
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm 

Ruben Rocha wrote:
I think you have a drive about to go.
I see from your attachment that you have SMART installed.
Does anything show on SMART that would hint that you have a bad drive?

The other odd thing I see from your attachment is it shows two addins install-okay.
but it shows two addins redy to install.

Yes I have the smart add on installed and it is working. It shows no bad drives. I did have a bad drive back when I posted "stuck in a loop" and after putting in the add-on Guardian recommender for S.M.A.R.T.

https://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/In ... lassic.zip

it showed me which one it was and I replaced it. Currently the smart says everything is fine.
The 2 add on's that are waiting for installation are McAfee antivirus that was giving me hassles and the media server add-on but since I don't use the system as a media server just as a backup I never installed it. The two that are installed are the above smart add-on (link above) and bdbb That worked so well for me in the "stuck in a loop" post .

Good suggestion though since all the drives were purchased at the same time they would probably all fair around the same time too but in this case it does not seem to be the case.

Any other suggestions please feel free to mention them I am certain we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry to hear you are still fighting with your server.
This is what I would do if in your spot and I say this because I have a non-pooled backup of my shares and a second server with a sync'ed copy of my shares (don't have to worry about data loss). I also always have 6-8 spare red drives on the shelf (buy on sale 2-3 at a whack)

1) I would check all the clients and make sure none of the has a virus and are squeaky clean. Malwarebytes has a free version that I use for friends/family. Then I would update all the clients (win updates/adobe updates/java/silver-light/etc.) Then run disk cleanup and defrag if spinning drives. Then make sure the clients have all the data on the server and not saved local (as much as possible)

2 )Then I would delete all the client backups again and give it one more chance, backup all the clients and see what happens. If fixed, done but if it starts hanging again, then I would start with the server.

3) On the server I would reboot, remote desktop in and run disk cleanup on the server and then defrag on the C drive only. I would also clear all the event logs. Reboot again. Then give the server one last try. If fixed great, if still hanging.

4) I would double check all the drives again with smart (there is a "disk refresh" button upper left corner. If all the drives showed good, Then I would start over. If the main drive is not a 2 tb drive I would buy a new 2 tb drive and pull all the drives and format them with another pc, and preform a factory re-set, install smart add-in and then copy all my data back.

I know, this is extreme, but I don't mess around with windows, if a good cleanup of the network does not fix it , then I reload.
I also recommend using all 2tb red drives because they run cooler and I have not one fail since they came out.
You could use a couple of the old drives for non-pooled backup drives and have a couple for spares "just in case"

That is what I would do, it's windows and sometimes it just needs to be reloaded. There may be a way to fix it but I don't know and would not fight it to long.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, someone may have the solution yet.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Without reading your posts on another thread.
Smart says your drives are good?
I can only surmise that one or more of the existing backups made prior to replacing your drive have been corrupted.
So best practice is to start with removing all of the existing backups and start over again.
Hopefully that will solve your issue.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks