It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:28 pm 

My long running LX195 finally died (something fried on the motherboard) and I got a replacement LX195 which actually came with a 1TB drive and 2GB RAM. Seemed to boot OK but the drive was wiped so not 100% sure.

I took the 1TB drive out and put my original 640GB drive in there, but I can't get it to appear on the network (all blue lights in front).

I'm presuming it might be the BIOS detecting a new drive or Windows OS detecting a new motherboard? How can I troubleshoot without a monitor? (Willing to buy the cables to connect something if someone can give advice?)

TIA.

ENV

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Welcome, glad to hear you found a replacement!
Assuming you kept the bottom drive in the bottom bay and the other drives shouldn't matter.
Them my guess is you would need to preform a recovery (not factory reset). So it can get used to the new motherboard and more impotently the new NIC.

I have never had a LX-195 but WHS v1 is more or less the same on all systems as far as I know.

Do you have the (3) cd's that came with the system?
Do you know how to perform a recovery?

The vga cable would be nice (not sure if it works on the LX-195).

Shout out on how it is going and if you have any questions or concerns.
Good Luck

P.S. There is a LX-195 thread that might help:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:34 am 

Unfortunately the LX195 is headless, no connectors for a monitor, so unless I can remotely get into the BIOS or OS, I'm stuck. Not sure there's a way to connect a monitor to one of the USB ports?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Do you have the (3) cd's that came with the system?
Do you know how to perform a recovery?

I am not sure the VGA adapter that works on the other servers will work on your model or not.
But more then likely all you will need to do is perform a recovery using the 3 disc's that came with the system.
If you don't have the disc's then you have a problem.

Good Luck shout out if you have not done a recovery and need some pointers.

I will say I have never had a LX-195 but I do know The other servers. Shouldn't be much different.

Someone correct me if wrong..... #-o

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am 

I do have the 3 CDs, but have never performed a recovery (remember, no video out).

Instructions welcome...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, I am assuming the lx-195 recoveries the same way as the other servers (it won't hurt it to try).
The other servers are without video as well, that is the way they are designed.
First, hopefully you made sure the bottom drive got back in the bottom bay, this is super impotent because that is the system drive where the OS will be recovered.
Then:
1) find the server recovery cd and place it in a client, if laptop you will need to disable the wireless nic, desktop you should be goo to go, xp or win7 works best for me as I don't have win10.
2) Place the cd in the client you are going to use to recover the server with (if it has the connector you will need to uninstall it).
3) Bootup the client in safe mode with networking, this will make sure any virus/spyware/adware/etc does not get in the way).
4) with both the client hard wired to the network and the server hardwired to the network and the server turned off run the server recovery cd on the client.
5) it will go through a few screens and at some point it will tell you to turn on the server, wait for the lights to blink three times red/blue/red/blue/red/blue and then press and release the tiny button in the tiny hole on the lower front of the case. The lights should change colors.
6) then ckick ok on the program, it will try to make contact with the server. If it does, make sure you pick (recovery) not factory reset. Also make sure all the drive that were in it before are still in it.
If you get to this point, you are almost done, about an hour it should be looking to reboot, maybe a couple of times and then hopefully you will be doneat some point (depending on how much data you had.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just in case the LX-195 recovers a little different I googled this:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01691363

Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 am 

OK just started to gather my discs and start to perform this recovery today, but when reading through the detailed HP notes, it states: "Server Recovery attempts to recover all data and restore the folders on the server. However, because of the state of the system prior to the recovery, not all data may be able to be recovered or integrated into the folder structure. All system settings, such as User Accounts and settings, are also lost during server recovery. You will need to recreate them."

That's a little too far of a recovery than I was hoping for. The OS and server config were always intact before the motherboard fried, all I'm looking to do is put the good drive into a replacement system. I'd figure if this was an OS licensing issue tied to a motherboard BIOS or something, then there'd be some type of minimal recovery possible without wiping the entire setup?

If only there was a way to connect a monitor to this thing...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:30 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

why don't you just put the 1tb drive back in and test boot and recovery and network.
Anyway to connect a monitor you need to purchase a special connector and cable that is attached to a socket on the motherboard.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14074.

and recovery is no big deal.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yep, sorry, a recovery is kind of a last ditch attempt to save what data you can and lay down a new OS.

It is the only way I know of (without the video adapter) to switch hardware (server) with your current drives.

A little late now, but that is why I recommend having a out of the server backup of all the data you can't lose and having the Smart Addin to keep an eye on the drives. I also have the video cable (just in case).
P.S. a usb monitor will work (after it has been installed and drivers added) so almost have to have a working system to have the usb monitor.

Good Luck, if all else fails you can place each drive in a usb to sata dock and retrieve the data. That is one of the reasons I stick with WHS v1.

P.S. You have tried rebooting it a couple of times and give it 5-10 mins to see if it shows up on the network? I doubt it, but worth a try? #-o

Thanks