It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS software deletion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm 

I begin by apologizing for my stupidity. My beloved EX470 was getting buggy after many years of service. I read that I should utilize my Server recovery disc to reinstall the software. In doing so it instructs you to delete the WIndows Home Server file and the Connecter file. I was already remote connected to the MediaSmart Server. WIthout thinking it through I blindly opened the control panel on the server and calmly deleted what I believe now to be the main Windows Home Server file. Now the server displays no drive lights upon restart. After restart the network indicator is blue and the health indicator progresses to alternating blue / red. When following the Server Recovery instructions after the blue / red indication I press the reset switch with a paper clip. The health indicator now alternates violet /red as the instructions predict. When progressing in the procedure I do find the Server on the network (hard wired), but the data transfer runs for a while then indicates that it has failed. Many reboots and attempts bring the same outcome. Am I doomed or does someone have a miracle cure for me? Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You should be OK "if" all the drives are ok and you had Duplication turned on for your folders on the server.

Recovery can be tricky,
I keep an old XP laptop with the server recovery disc and the software disc copied to the desktop. That can help it is quicker access then from the cdrom/dvdrom.
Next can be the wireless nic if you are using a laptop, I boot into safe mode with networking and disable the wireless nic. Both of these should help.

Lastly, turn your server off, run the server recovery disc and follow the instructions, wait for the blue/red/blue/red/blue/red then press and release the tiny button and that should get you into recovery mode, then click next and you should be off and running.

If all else fails (I don't know what you are using to try and recover it with) you might try connecting the network cable direct from client to server.

Hopefully these tips will help, let us know how it's going.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply. I am using Server Recovery Disc Version 3.0 Upgrade with Patch 1 running on a hardwired desk top Win7 PC. I will continue to try the recovery process....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 am 

Well I was finally successful. I utilized another PC in my home, cleaned the DVD, and I was able to recover the sever. Thank you for helping fellas like me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great to hear! Another good reason to have a copy of the discs on my laptop :-)

Now that you are running again, I hope you are at least using the Free Smart addin to keep an eye on your drives?
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

IMHO it is a must have and also I hope you have some kind of a backup of the data you "can't" lose somewhere outside the server. Duplication is not a backup, If you got a power spike that fried all the drives, would you still have your most important data?
Some use cloud, some use external drive/s some use a "non-pooled" 2 tb drive to backup the shares.

That is my lecture for now, great luck to you. Shout out if you have any questions / problems. I think this is the best site for WHS help.
:mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 am 

As stated earlier I was able to perform a server recovery after many failed attempts. I was able to perform the required set up, but could not obtain any updates. Now I notice the "Network Services" or LAN connection indicator will bob on and off when operating. Staying on for maybe 12 seconds then turning off for 1 or 2 for the most part. The switch port indicators verify the disconnection and reconnection to the network. I shut down the server and changed both the line cord (new) and the switch port. The problem followed. So now making contact either by the console or remote desktop connection is sketchy. In reflection when I earlier said the server was getting "buggy" this may have been the root cause. I store / stream music files from the server and the drop outs were getting unbearable. This may be coincidental. Does anyone have any thoughts towards this matter?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

First, congrats on a successful recovery!
I forgot to mention once the recovery is done and the server reboots for the last time, is a good time to connect it to the network so it has internet for the updates both HP and Windows.

But to your connection problem, Process of elimination:
1) Change cat5 wire.
2) Change port on router/switch (you have done).
3) unplug cat5 and replug on server end to make sure you have good connection.
4) Lastly, on a client ping "your server ip" -t without the quotes the space dash t will keep the ping going and you will probably see the dropouts.

If 1/2/3 don't fix it you may be looking at a nic in the server going south. Some people have used a USB nic but that can be very tricky unless you have the video cable so you can see what is happening to install it.

I forget which server you said you had, but might be time to head to ebay and try to pickup a used one of the same type. You could swap all your drives (make sure the bottom drive gets back in the bottom bay and then more then likely you may need to do a recovery again, but you should have a new/used nic that works plus spare parts. Trays/Power supply/fans/etc.

Good Luck

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
wiredsol
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:44 am 

Thank you again for your insight on this matter. I left it to seemingly struggle overnight. It stabilized for a while. I remote desk topped in and changed the network adapter properties to 100meg full duplex in case it was having trouble handshaking at 1gig. The switch is a gigabit switch. It has been stable now for 24 additional hours. whew! Oh yes, EX470 4 terabyte total. I was an early adopter. I am considering transferring all my music to an all together different NAS solution. But the WHS has so many rewarding features. I may keep the WHS on the network and still move the music to the other NAS unit for a more robust solution for my large and growing collection. I've already begun the preliminary selling of the idea to my mate. She loves the music also. Any hardware recommendations Sir?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Most people go with synology or Qnap I have a client that went Drobo and has been running it for 5-6 years 24/7 365 but kind of pricey.

https://www.synology.com/en-us

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/items_by_series.php?CA=3&ref=header

http://www.drobo.com/

Some go Cloud some go DIY.
I had the EX-470 and it was a good starter but they got better when they came out with the EX-490/EX-495/X-510.

I Upgraded to the X-510 same hardware as the EX-495.
I also did a DIY and loaded win server 2012E for down the road.

Good Luck Hope this helps.
I will run my x-510's until they won't go anymore. Then most likely go to the 2012E home built.
I have thought of running two x-510 to have one for backups and client files and put the music/video/photos on the other one.

Thanks