It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:55 pm 

Hi Folks,

Hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot my EX495.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my server was off, and I figured it must have turned off during a power outage (was plugged into surge protector).

I tried to power it up, but got no response. Eventually I removed it from where it was seated to somewhere I could more easily work with it, and could not get it to do anything. I would press and hold the power button, and no response from the machine.

So I did some research on this site and determined that maybe it's a bad PSU. I went ahead and ordered a PSU from KDMPower, and it arrived last weekend. I finally got an opportunity to install it today, but unfortunately when I put it all back together, still nothing! I don't get even movement from the PSU fan to indicate something is happening.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. I'd rather not have to purchase another one. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Would a bad drive cause the machine to completely not respond? I'm talking no lights, nothing.

How can I test for the PSU? I saw a reference to the paperclip method, but the PSU doesn't have an on/off switch, so how would I control it, or do I just put the clip in the pins and plug it in and unplug when I'm done?

Could bad ram cause the system to just not respond to power?

Is there anything on the motherboard I should look at/for that could indicate the motherboard has croaked?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, sorry to hear your having problems.
Assuming nothing was changed prior to this outage? "Just noticed it was down one day"

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the motherboard went south. :-#

The only things you could try:
1) Try a different power cord (not likely, but)
2) Sound like you have already tried a different power wall plug.
3) Have you tried it without the surge protector (sometimes they go bad)
4) if all above have been tried, I would take the system back apart and make sure the harddrive backplane and power supply plug are seated good.

As far as checking the power supply, there are two pins that you can jump with a paperclip or wire that will cause it to turn on, but since the main plug is pinned different then a normal power supply, I don't know which two to jump to try, one would hope a brand new power supply would be good, but jumping it would be a good test, I'm sure the answer is in the threads somewhere, just not sure where right now.
When I get home I will try to find the two pins to jump, unless someone else knows or you find it.

Lastly, I recommend to everybody to have an extra server, preferably the same model as you have, for spare parts (just in case it dies) :-(
I have 4 servers, I use one for the main, one as a synced share data backup of the main and two spares in the shop.
Plus I keep two extra power supplies and two vga adapters on hand, just in case.
I also buy 2 tb Reds drives 2-3 at a time when they are on sale.

Good luck I hope it turns out to be something simple. Let us know what you find.

P.S. That power supply you got stated it was for a media smart server right? as they are pinned differently then a normal power supply. I assume so, but had to ask.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
ViPaDawG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the reply and confirming what I figured happened.

Yes, nothing was changed (I travel quite often for work, so appreciate the MSS's ability of set it and forget it) and one week when I came home I noticed it was off.

As for your suggestions:

1) Tried different power cord, no change.
2) Tried different wall plug, no change
3) Tried it in 2 different surge protectors, and without surge protectors, no change.
4) It's currently disassembled, and I had examined it for any abnormalities (bulged capacitor, etc.) but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'll plug it back in and try it again.

If you let me know which pins, I can try the PSU.

Yes, definitely a media smart server power supply. I can't link since my account is new, but if you search ebay for EX495 Power Supply, it's the one that comes up sold by KDMPower for $48.49.

I'm in the process of acquiring another MSS off eBay, so hopefully I can just plug my drives back in and be back in business.

I appreciate all of your assistance and insight! Thank you!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Dang, I was hoping for something simple. Hopefully you can get a good one 490/495 maybe even with the cd's so you will have spare parts.
I am just getting off work so will do some googling/searching for those pins.

Here is a link that shows the difference in pinning:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

It was on that page:
Quote:
The power supply can be tested. Use a paper clip to short pins 1 and 2 to see if the unit powers up.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks