It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 am 

Hi folks! I'm new to the board, but a long time successful user (since 2008) of an EX 470 as a file server across a simple peer-to-peer network for important documents that have been scanned and saved. The client PCs are running Vista.

I thought I was safe by using two 1 TB drives in the EX470 with fie duplication turned on, but several months ago, nightly computer backups started failing, and now 24 gb of scanned documents are sitting in a shared file called "Scanned Documents" that my document management software (DMS) program is still able to access, but the access has now become so excruciating slow that the DMS program frequently crashes. Also, the Media Smart home console frequently refuses to open. When the console does open, it shows that all drives and files are "healthy".

Because the data is so important, I tried (and failed) to simply use the copy and paste function in Vista to move the 24 gig data file from the EX470 to one of the client PCs. I have attempted the copy and paste by connecting the EX470 directly to the client PC via ethernet connection. The fastest data transfer rate I can get is around 500kb/sec with transfer speeds falling even slower at times...the data transfer always quits before it completes the process.

I am strongly suspecting that the hard drive holding the WHS operating system is failing and am looking for a quick and easy way to safeguard that 24 gig data file by moving it from the EX470, until I figure out what is going on wth the EX470.

Even with the failing system drive, I am thinking that if I could somehow find and access the duplicated data that I assume has been saved to the 2nd (non-system) hard drive in the EX470, that maybe the copy and paste function in Vista would work without crashing. I am also curious as to whether there is a simple way to use a USB thumb drive with one of the USB ports on the EX470 to accomplish this.

I am not a "Techie",.....any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As you have found, duplication is not enough.
Do you have the Free Smart addin installed, it would have told you a drive was going bad long before WHS would.
You are most likely correct, the main drive is going south and/or filled with event logs.

I would purchase a usb to sata dock or if you can open a desktop and install the drive into it, the unhide hidden files and folders and you should be able to see the files and Copy them somewhere else.

One way to backup your shared files is to install a new drive and NOT add it to the pool. Then look in the backup page of the console and you will see a Backup the server. It will backup the shares to that new harddrive then you can remove it in the console and place it somewhere safe and update it as needed.

Hope this helps, let us know how it's going.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:08 pm 

Thanks Gardian,

I bought a USB/SATA dock and was able to copy the important data file from the WHS directly to one of the client's hard drive. So at least I have the data file safe and secure. I still have a problem because I currently can not use the data file across our network because the Document management software we use requires the file to be stored on a Windows Server. Am now trying to decide which direction to go with regard to a new server.

Thanks again for you help,

Randy

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:29 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Cool! Glad to hear you were able to grab that data. I try to keep up on my backups, when I don't do one for awhile I come here and it reminds me what can happen. :-)

Finding a new server, we are all their with ya. Some have gone to NAS and some have gone to Windows 2012/2016 server on DIY builds.The ex-470 was the early model in the series and the x-510 really being the last.

I have a win2012E DIY build for down the road, but am going to run whs V1 as long as I can.
I was on ebay yesterday and saw they had a couple of x-510 media vaults for great prices, if I didn't already have (4) I would grab a couple for spares. The 510 which can run about any OS if you have the vga cable, but the hardware is getting old and drivers will slowly disappear.

I wish you luck on working out how to move forward. Microsoft has abandoned the "Home Server" world and now wants everybody to put their stuff up in their cloud or at least to fork out the cash to buy their new server OS'es which are not HOME friendly at all, so needless to say I'm not happy with them.
I have deferred using win10 and will run whs v1 till it does not work any more, if they keep going the way they are now, I see macs and chromebooks in my future and maybe even (God forbid) a NAS (makes me sick to think of it) :-#

Anyway, good luck, I have ranted/rambled on long enough.
Shout back on which way you go, might help others.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks