It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX487 Won't Boot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:08 pm 

Hello! A friend of mine gave me an EX487 that he had sitting around for a few years. Allegedly it worked fine up until i got it. Basically what happens is when i plug in the power cord it will turn on for about 5 seconds then turn off and continue doing that until I unplug it. I took it apart and examined the insides. Everything is clean no dust or anything that seems out of the ordinary. Then went into troubleshooting mode, first removing the drives and trying to boot and getting the same results. The only thing i've noticed was that when i remove the single stick of ram it will stay on.

So I assume that the ram is bad and go buy another stick of PC2-6400 DDR2 ram. Get that in the mail, install it and get the same results with and without the hard drives pulled. Then I had an old E5300 laying around that I know works, and after reading the forums/guides here and seeing it could be compatible, tried that. Same results. I'm stumped now. The only other thing I haven't tried is the power supply, but it seems odd that it will stay on when the ram is pulled. I assume that if it was bad it'd continue turning on and shutting off repeatedly. Before I spend $60 on a power supply that may or may not work, is there anything else i could possibly be overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX487 Won't Boot
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, that is strange, I can't comment on what might be the problem. Sounds like you have done about anything you could do.

What happens when you take all the drives out (mark the bottom drive as it needs to be in the bottom, the others don't matter)

I'm like you, I have replaced power supplies, but that ram thing is weird. Only you can decide if you want to lay down the cash to follow it to the end. Might work, might be parts.

Good Luck Sorry can't be more help.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:18 pm 

It's all right. When i take all the drives out it still continues to do the same thing, powercycles over and over again. I have two 750gb drives in the bottom two bays. I've tried every combo I can think of with drive placement. One Drive in the bottom with nothing else, the other drive in the bottom with nothing else. Both drives inserted and switched around. Same results.

Truth is I want to lay down the money for a power supply, but i'm having a hard time justifying it since i got the thing for free. The main and probably only thing I want to do with it is run a plex server. Nothing else besides that. Just trying to have something that can run 24/7 instead of my main computer which I turn off every so often. Unfortunately (but maybe fortunately), I have an attitude where i'll end up buying the power supply just because I hate to see the thing go to waste, and I always like to have new toys.

Thanks for your response though. I wasn't expecting to get one on here since the forum seems to be a bit dead :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have two power supplies setting on the shelf, (just in case) I have 4 servers.
I also have two video adapters on the shelf, (just in case)
There are a few of us that still check to see if anybody is having problems.
I will be using WHS v1 as long as I can.

GoodLuck If you do find a replacement power supply (most likely on ebay) know that they are wired differently then normal. Just a small power supply will not work, it has to have been modded.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:19 pm 

I have the exact same issue. Turns on and off until I unplug it. Removed the memory, and it started and remained on. So I thought it must be the memory. Ordered new memory, but same issue. Could the memory pull just enough power for it to be too much for a bad supply? If the slot for the memory was bad, I would think it wouldn't matter if the memory was in or not. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:44 am 

Same here, they just don't last very long I think.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

All I can say is over the years it seems like the 480 series seemed to have more problems then the 490 series. Not sure why as I jumped from the ex-470 to the x-510.

Sorry to hear all the trouble, I have enjoyed the 510's (same hardware as the 490/495 for many years.
I use it for daily client backups (just in case someone gets ransom ware or bad virus) I have all the clients keep their data on the server and use the music/video to hold all of our entertainment which gets streamed to the Samsung Plasma via Serviio.

I normally suggest ebay for picking extra units, some even come with the CD's that people seem to lose. Some come with and without drives.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks