It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:56 pm 

Hello Everyone, It seems like there is still some life in these servers by the level of expertise and interest still here in this forum. I have spent the last day or so in here and have come to the conclusion that I likely can't fix it myself. I thought I would run through my problem with hope that you guys can assist me. My ultimate intent is to pull the old jpegs and anything else of value. The photos are most valuable and really all that I care about.

Background: MSS EX495 with a failed OS. Two 1.5TB and a single 750GB drive in slots 2, 3, and 4. It's running Version 2.1.7.24261- 1/13/2009 w/ bios version HPMSS-01 9/23/2008. The server failed a number of years ago. Initial troubleshooting indicated a failed NIC so it has been sitting since then. I came back to it yesterday and found your forum.

So far I have performed two recoveries without formatting the old drives. The first was to test the new installed drive and OS. The second was to attempt to recover the files. I didn't name the server the same. In any case I have the connector software running on win10 and the original on win7. I've read there can be some compatibility issues with these newer version of windows. I do not have a debug board (yet).

The HP updates aren't available and microsoft doesn't seem to take very long. I'm sure this could be an issue as well. I have attempted to pull the drives individually to read from a USB dock to no avail. Can't see the drives or anything hidden either. Server storage indicates there is data on the drives as it gives a percentage of what is available. 3% on one 13% and 66% on another yet I can't see the directory structure or any files. Since they indicate different values does this mean they weren't pooled?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry for the short answer, had to go to work.
Quote:
When you plug a drive into the usb dock, you will need to un hide files and folders and look for DE and shared folder.
Now I know you said you didn't format them and you say there is no hidden files, but the size says otherwise.

You say the system went down and the Nic was bad, but now you have performed 2 recoveries, which means the Nic is OK or you used a usb nic.
Besides the point, but just made me wonder.

If you performed recoveries and not factory reset, then the data should still be their. Now, I have not had a susessful recovery yet, so I do data backups, factory resets and copy backs.
In you case, If you did recoveries your data should still be on those drives. And you should be able to take out one drive at a time and place it in the usb dock of anonther client, expose the hidden files and folders and find a file structure and your data.

If you did a factory reset, then all drives would have been formatted and getting data off them would be more difficult. But you say the drives show space usage and alot of it, so I have to believe you did recoveries and the data is still their.

I would try a win7 client and click on the start button and type in the little square box Folders then use the usb to sata dock and look for your data.
You will see an option to show hidden files and folders. You should be able to see them.

Also, you say that the HP updates are shut off or not working, A couple of weeks ago they were still working, I will have to try them this weekend as I have been worried about that down the road.

Anyway, I wish you luck, let us know how it is going.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:16 pm 

Hi Gardian. Thanks for the reply however short. Replies below.

Gardian wrote:
Sorry for the short answer, had to go to work.
Quote:
When you plug a drive into the usb dock, you will need to un hide files and folders and look for DE and shared folder.
Now I know you said you didn't format them and you say there is no hidden files, but the size says otherwise.

You say the system went down and the Nic was bad, but now you have performed 2 recoveries, which means the Nic is OK or you used a usb nic.
Besides the point, but just made me wonder.

I spend time reading the forums. Some of the symptoms were indicative of a NIC failure. I didn't see a mac address on the switch connection to the server even though the lights were lit during initial troubleshooting. Reading many threads related to this I found that if the OS failed you wouldn't necessarily see the mac address. I attempted the recovery to prove this.

If you performed recoveries and not factory reset, then the data should still be their. Now, I have not had a susessful recovery yet, so I do data backups, factory resets and copy backs.

Wow, I have to hope that this isn't a common occurrence. I've read that these things are supposed to be bulletproof provided you have the debug board.

In you case, If you did recoveries your data should still be on those drives. And you should be able to take out one drive at a time and place it in the usb dock of anonther client, expose the hidden files and folders and find a file structure and your data.

If you did a factory reset, then all drives would have been formatted and getting data off them would be more difficult. But you say the drives show space usage and alot of it, so I have to believe you did recoveries and the data is still their.

I would try a win7 client and click on the start button and type in the little square box Folders then use the usb to sata dock and look for your data.
You will see an option to show hidden files and folders. You should be able to see them.

I haven't attempted it this the way. I plug in the drive and wait for windows to install the drivers. Nothing was happening. I'll try this and let you know.

Also, you say that the HP updates are shut off or not working, A couple of weeks ago they were still working, I will have to try them this weekend as I have been worried about that down the road.

Yes. Once the install is complete and you create the initial login (IIRC in that order) it searches HP for updates and finds zero. I actually just started working for HP. Who would have thought... Anyway..

Anyway, I wish you luck, let us know how it is going.
Good Luck

Thank you very much for your thoughts. As an aside, would I see any of these files as a NTFS share on a linux client or are you guys strictly windows?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:08 pm 

No dice searching a drive for hidden files. Neither W10 or W7 sees the USB dock. The server did find the HP updates. Those have been installed. The server summary indicates four drives but only lists the OS drive as available space.

Attachments:
storage.JPG
storage.JPG [ 80.19 KiB | Viewed 10339 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Seeing your data:
That is why I stick with these servers because if all else fails you can pull a "working" drive and see it as NTFS file structure.
In other NAS with other OS'es that is not often the case.

I have (2) X-510 (same hardware as the 490) one is my main and the other I synctoy all my shares to monthly as another backup.
I will run them till they won't go no more :-).

That data has to be on their, or at least the server shows something is on there. I can't figure why you can't see it.
Good Luck

P.S. On your Folders tab, did you have File Duplication turned on? If not, you will need to check one drive at at time to see where the data is.
Mark the bottom drive, it always has to be in the bottom, the others don't matter.
I would check them all, one by one and make sure the hidden is off.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I was just looking at the 2/3/4 drives. They are not pooled drives. They are non-pooled drives.
Did you ever backup "the server"? to those drives?
Which means the only way to get data off them is in the usb dock.

Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 am 

Thank you Gardian. I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I will wish you luck, maybe with some help for a Geek Buddy you will be able to get to that data.
I'm guessing you are not close to Wyoming :rofl: if you were , I would help....
Good Luck Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:04 pm 

Nope. You are right. I'm not close to Wyoming. I'm in the UK. I'm going to attempt to mount the ntfs share on Linux next. I have to see if I can pull the files that way. I have ubuntu, fedora, slitaz, and various flavors of RPi. Fingers crossed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Since #2/#3/#4 drives are non-pooled, they will be the only drives with your data on them, more or less.
Drive #1 will just have the OS and a second empty (for the most part) partition. so I wouldn't eve try it.

That system was not setup correctly in the first place.
All those drives should have been added to the "Pool" but the weren't.

Looks like Drive #3 has the most data on it.
Then drive #2 would be next
Then Drive #4 has the least.
Good Luck.

Thanks