It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have been getting warning notices on my client machines, that there are volumes failing on my server.

I have shut down the server and pulled all disks, individually, and run CHKDSK /f (and on the SYS volume added the /r switch) on all drives.

I have even run SpinRite on the SYS volume (wow, very slow process to scan entire disk)

The net of it is that neither CHKDSK nor SpinRite could find any errors on the drives.

I have Home Server SMART running on the server and it does not recognize any errors on any of the drives. No warnings, nothing. All appears to be good.

I even checked the SMART status of each drive with a separate utility while each was out of the server and it too found no issues within the SMART data on the drives. I also ran the drive tests. The utility I used was Passmark's DiskCheckup v3.4

I know that SMART data is difficult to interpret for various reasons so my question is not so much about that as it is this: How is the server seeing issues with the drives if CHKDSK is not reporting bad sectors, and two SMART monitoring/reporting tools cannot identify drive issues? Is there another service that looks at drives?

Have you experienced something like this?

Also, as a side note, when researching drives to use for replacement in my server, I stumbled back upon the concept of Advanced Format drives and whether or not these can or should be used in WHS v1.0 servers. I realized that I do have an AF drive in my server and that I never re-aligned it for use in the server. I just threw it in. It has been installed since September 2012.

Well, that drive IS one of two that the server reports is failing. It has 13% free space left on the volume on that drive.

What should I make of all this?

thx!

Attachment:
ScreenClip.png
ScreenClip.png [ 577.84 KiB | Viewed 4775 times ]

Attachment:
ScreenClip1.png
ScreenClip1.png [ 90.44 KiB | Viewed 4775 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

1) I would say make sure you have the latest version of the free smart addin.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip
2) I will bet the AF is what is giving you problems.

I use all WD reds for OS and storage and they are plug and play, they are cooler but not as fast.

I think you answered your own inquire. You could (with some data moving) take out the AF drive once you have all the data off it and then Use the jumper or the align tool and then place it back in.

Or start buying red drives and use the drives you have now for something else.

Hope this helps Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks