It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I rebooted the server, and the lights did not come back on properly. I'm pretty sure my disk drives are in good shape. I suspect the motherboard or power supply (we had a contractor in the house, and I did not realize that he worked near the server, which is full of dustbunnies).

Can I get a SATA-to-USB adapter, and retrieve files from the individual hard disks, rather than attempting to repair the hardware?

Thank you!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes. That is one of the best things about WHS is that you can pull any (working) drive, plug it into a usb to sata dock or attach it to the inside of another PC and access the data.
You have to go to "folder Options" and Fix the Hide system files and folders before you will see them.
I believe you are looking for a folder called DE.

When you say you Think the drives are OK,
I'm guessing you do not have the Free Smart Add-in that keeps and eye on the drives and will report when one is having a problem, normally long before it dies?
It only takes 1 drive to cause the server to not boot up and run correctly.

Most times a bad drive is found when the server is unexpectedly shutdown (power bump) (move) (Cleaning).

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
hdt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
Yes. That is one of the best things about WHS is that you can pull any (working) drive, plug it into a usb to sata dock or attach it to the inside of another PC and access the data.
You have to go to "folder Options" and Fix the Hide system files and folders before you will see them.
I believe you are looking for a folder called DE.

When you say you Think the drives are OK,
I'm guessing you do not have the Free Smart Add-in that keeps and eye on the drives and will report when one is having a problem, normally long before it dies?
It only takes 1 drive to cause the server to not boot up and run correctly.

Most times a bad drive is found when the server is unexpectedly shutdown (power bump) (move) (Cleaning).

I do have the SMART add-in. Before I rebooted the server (which then failed to reboot), all the drives were stating "happy."

Any recommendations for USB-to-SATA dock? Or are they all the same? I know how to show hidden files, thanks for that tip.

Edit added: I have 3 drives in the system, and duplication is on. I don't care too much about the OS backups. I presume with some exploration, I will be able to find the shared and individual files by exploring the individual hard disks?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:16 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Most all the usb to sata are about the same.
Smart would have flagged that drive long before WHS would have.
Free Smart is a must have.
Yes, the shared files should be good as long as the drives spin.

P.S. If your server has no signs of life then most likely it is the power supply. I had to replace a power supply on my first EX-470.
I think they are running about $60-$80 buck these days with shipping. Ebay is where most everybody gets them as they are NOT standard wired and need to be made for the server.
If you are thinking about continuing on with Mediasmart server you might pick up a newer model ex-490 with the install disks on ebay and save the 470 for spare parts.
The trays will fit all or maybe sell the 470 for parts.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Now if you see some signs of life, then it could just be a bad drive, it only takes 1 bad drive (normally the system drive) (bottom) to cause a no boot problem.

Good Luck Shout out if you have other questions..... Lots of great people here to help...

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks