It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Update #1 [20-Jul-2016] On a hutch, I checked the CMOS battery. The battery is drained. I replaced it with a new one. The system now boots to 2 BLUE lights and 1 RED light (one time it booted to 1 BLUE, 1 WHITE, and 1 RED light) but none of them are blinking. There is NO BLINKING LIGHT EVEN BRIEFLY DURING BOOT. The lights are sold as soon as they come on. The status light combination does not match up with any of the troubleshooting light status. I don't know what to do now... Please help!!!!

Original post [19-Jul-2016]

I have an HP LX195 WHS on v1 (stock installation).

The server just suddenly lost all contact with clients. Power is on. Fan is spinning. There is a single FIXED (not blinking) blue light. Unable to power cycle or power off by pushing the power button on the back of the unit. I unplugged the power adapter to force a restart. Once power is connected, there is again a singled FIXED (not blinking) blue light. I can hear the hard drive spinning. But nothing happens.

I have previously the HP MediaSmart Server Gen3 Debug Board. There is no video output I can see, so I am completely blinded to what the server is doing.

Can someone please give me some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue (all of the guides I read only talk about blinking lights)?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't have the LX195 but since no one has offered any help I will try.
Speaking to WHS V1 which you are using, the hardware I am unsure about, but WHS normally has 3 common problems.
1) hard drive going/gone bad
2) system drive filling up with error/events
3) Power supply

I do not know but would assume that the LX195 can use the Free Smart addin to keep track of your hard drives?
If you had that it would have warned you long before the system, that a drive was going bad.
I believe it is a must have, something to think about if you can get it up and running again.

But, to your problem, I would guess/hope it is a hard drive problem and not a Hardware problem.
You can mark all your drives (so they can be placed back in the same bays) and place each one in a usb to sata dock and check them.
You could test to see if your hardware is ok, by pulling all the drives out, placing a new known good hard drive in the bottom bay and trying to run a server recovery, if it completes ok, you know your hardware is ok.
Then you will need to run check disk on each drive you have in the usb to sata dock till you find the bad one.
You can use the usb to sata dock to access your data and move to something else as a backup till you get your system running if needed.
Hopefully running check disk on the drives will get them working long enough to get the smart addin installed and then work out trying to remove a drive and replacing it with a new drive.

I hope some of this is helpful.....
Good luck and shout back if you have any questions.
Again, at least your data is still there, just need to access with a usb to sata dock or if you are comfortable with opening a desktop pc you could install/add them to the inside and access them that way.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
to1337ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thank you, Gardian, for trying to help! I appreciate it.

My LX195 had a single Western Digital Caviar black 2TB hard drive which I upgraded.

I removed the hard drive and attached it to a desktop system as a non-system drive for testing. The hard drive appears to be working fine. I can see the system partition and the data partition (as you know the data are hidden) formatted by WHS. I polled the SMART data from the drive and they are fine as well. Therefore, I don't believe that this is a drive problem.

I also inserted a blank drive into the LX195 and tried to boot it. Again, there were no POST data shown on screen (I have the debug board installed with VGA video out previously enabled). The indicator lights status is identical to that when trying to boot with the original drive.

Any more suggestions? The biggest problem is that I can't figure out what the status lights mean. They don't match any of the known diagnostic light patterns.

Please help!

Gardian wrote:
I don't have the LX195 but since no one has offered any help I will try.
Speaking to WHS V1 which you are using, the hardware I am unsure about, but WHS normally has 3 common problems.
1) hard drive going/gone bad
2) system drive filling up with error/events
3) Power supply

I do not know but would assume that the LX195 can use the Free Smart addin to keep track of your hard drives?
If you had that it would have warned you long before the system, that a drive was going bad.
I believe it is a must have, something to think about if you can get it up and running again.

But, to your problem, I would guess/hope it is a hard drive problem and not a Hardware problem.
You can mark all your drives (so they can be placed back in the same bays) and place each one in a usb to sata dock and check them.
You could test to see if your hardware is ok, by pulling all the drives out, placing a new known good hard drive in the bottom bay and trying to run a server recovery, if it completes ok, you know your hardware is ok.
Then you will need to run check disk on each drive you have in the usb to sata dock till you find the bad one.
You can use the usb to sata dock to access your data and move to something else as a backup till you get your system running if needed.
Hopefully running check disk on the drives will get them working long enough to get the smart addin installed and then work out trying to remove a drive and replacing it with a new drive.

I hope some of this is helpful.....
Good luck and shout back if you have any questions.
Again, at least your data is still there, just need to access with a usb to sata dock or if you are comfortable with opening a desktop pc you could install/add them to the inside and access them that way.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you have video, do you see the bios when it boots up?
Like I said, I have no idea what the hardware is like on that system.
GoodLuck

EDIT:
Opps! Just noticed you posted that you get nothing from video. Hate to say it, but sounds like it's toast. Sorry to hear.

If it was me, I would head over to Ebay and try to pickup a EX-490 with the install disks. You might even find another LX195 and then you would have some spare parts....
Good Luck
But, some are going NAS, Synology or Qnap and some are going Cloud.
As you can see from my Sig, I bought extra servers when I found good deals so I would have spares.
The one thing that keeps me with WHS V1 is you can pull a drive and access the data anytime.

Let us know which way you go, it is interesting to see what people are doing for storage. these days....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks