It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX470 Rescue Plan
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello,

For years my EX470 did a fine job of NAS work. I guess I should've not been complacent. It has died a hard death. Not sure what the problem is but a couple of things have come up.

- No attempts with the recovery disks work. If it sees the server the software says recovery can not be done.
- The current system drive is readable via other connections (SATA hard drive case)
- The error codes reported memory problems. I swapped out the upgraded mem stick for a factory one and got a new error code.
- Now I've 2 blue, 3 red error codes, BIOS problem I think.

Hunting through this and the forums I've run out of ideas. I've even gone and purchased a used EX470 in hopes I could get things going again to at least off load the vital stuff and do it right with multiple storage options. Lesson learned.

My question, if the three storage drives are OK can I create a new system drive on the working EX470, create an account with the same name and password and slide the storage drives into the new EX470 to rescue the files?

Thanks to those who might be able to help.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX470 Rescue Plan
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Short answer is no. You can try to put all the drives in the newer server and boot it, but my guess it it won't work.
If you do a reset on a new drive in the newer server, when you add the other drives the system will try to format them and your data will be gone.

Failure of a recovery can be over come.
!) use a desktop or laptop (disable the wireless nic) and boot into safe mode with networking.
I copy the contents of the server recovery cd to the desktop of the pc you are using to recover it with.

But, First, I would mark the bottom disk (it has to be in the bottom bay) and run checkdisk on all drives and make sure you know what is what on your drives.

If you have a bad system drive that can't be fixed and the rest are ok, then I would buy a new 2tb red or black drive and perform a recovery with the rest of the disks in place.

If all else fails you can pull the disks out one by one and copy the data off to other drives till you get the server sorted out.

I would not give up on the recovery with a new system disk to quickly. It can take a couple of tries.
I keep an old xp laptop around just for resets/recoveries.

Goodluck let us know how it's going.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
cybirr
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you for the reply.  I am gobsmacked by the ease of it.

Yes, simply attaching the HD to my computer, revealing the DE directory and drilling down.  Copy the stuff, problem solved.  I've been looking for some complex elite hacker solution and the simple solution was best.

Off to the hardware reviews.  Thank you so much.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Glad to hear!
That is the best thing IMHO about Whs over a NAS is you can pull a drive and read your data without any vodoo.

I will run WHS v1 till it won't go no more.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks