It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Push the start switch in the motherboard and see if you can hear or feel it clicking. If it doesn't then the switch might be bad. Also check the connector on the motherboard for bad pins. I think pin 14 is what starts the power supply along with a ground pin.

It might be another bad power supply but doubtful. It has happened before though. You can bench test it but be CARFUL. Everything is exposed and for some reason electricity and the human body don't go well together. I think it has a standard 20 pin ATX connector so you can probably use some youtube videos for guidance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The power supplies on the mediasmart servers "are NOT standard plug"
Here is the info:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

I would be shopping on ebay for a replacement server of the same series and that way you will have some extra parts for down the road.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I Googled and found a simple way to test the power supply with a paper clip. I tested and both the old and new power supply work perfectly. I wish I had figured this out before ordering the new one.

helomechanic wrote:
Push the start switch in the motherboard and see if you can hear or feel it clicking.

The button does click and functions exactly as it always has. At this point I'm at a loss. I considered ordering a replacement EX490 off ebay, but it may be time for a new system. I'm thinking about the Synology DS415+.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You should test the start switch with a multimeter.

I also looked closer at your motherboard and I think I see a burnt circuit. You should test that circuit with a multimeter as well.

Attachments:
File comment: I think you might a broken circuit on the motherboard. I circled it in red.
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 7264 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Some people are going NAS, but I put my chips on extra servers becase you can pull a drive and read it on any windows pc.
Nas can't say that.
Good luck on whichever way you go.
I have two extra servers, two extra power supplies and I buy WD red harddrives 2-3 at a whack when on sale.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

helomechanic wrote:
You should test the start switch with a multimeter.

I also looked closer at your motherboard and I think I see a burnt circuit. You should test that circuit with a multimeter as well.

Thanks helomechanic. I did check the start button with a multimeter last week and it tested fine. I'll take a look at the circuit board tonight.

Gardian wrote:
Some people are going NAS, but I put my chips on extra servers becase you can pull a drive and read it on any windows pc.
Nas can't say that.

A Windows based server with NTFS formatted drives is actually one of the reasons I'm planning to switch to NAS. I use all Mac computers and had to purchase NTFS software to be able to pull data off my drives. The server has worked great, but it really isn't the best match for a Mac user. Otherwise I would likely order a used EX490 off ebay and keep the old one for parts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

One of my clients had me set him up with two Drobo's.
He has one attached via usb to his main desktop and then he synctoys to the networked Drobo down in the basement.
They have been running for about 5-6 years, they have 3-4 500 gig Blue WD drives in them. He likes it.

My girls bought me a Mac Book Pro for xmas, the first mac I have used. Don't they use time machine?
It's not bad, but i think Chromebooks would work just as well, except I don't care for Chrome lololololo
But i do have to admit that windows is wearing thin with me, near constant updates and forced OS upgrades,

If all else fails some of my clients are using large usb external drives.

No one solution works for all, good luck on your journey finding what works for you.
The ex-470 were the first version and not very powerful, but many have run for a long time.

Let us know which way you go, many are looking at what is next, might help someone.

Thanks