It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Bad power supply???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi guys -- quick question re: my ex495 that has been fairthfully running along until today.

We had a power failure and now I can't get it to boot -- I've removed all internal/external drives except the boot drive but same issue: it just won't power up. At best after removing the power cord and then plugging it back in, the front panel power light will blink a few times, then nothing. Once it seemed to be starting to power on (fans/drives) but the power light wasn't fully illumnated -- it was fading in and out, then it stopped again.

No other lights on the panel come on.

Are these symtoms of a cooked power supply (best case scenario I assume)? I'm going to try and order one today but would appreciate any input if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks much

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Bad power supply???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sure sounds like it could be a power supply. I keep a couple extras on hand "just in case".
The power supplies are wired differently then a normal power supply, just in case you didn't know that.
The most popular place to get a replacement is from ebay. I purchased one from KDM on ebay, it worked well.
The user from the UK ebay store appears to not have them anymore.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07/08/replacement-power-supplies-available-for-the-mediasmart-server/

Here is a guide, if it helps:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Replacing_the_Power_Supply

I bought one to swap out on my first ex-470, it worked so good, I bought two more for the X-510's I moved to.
Got to have spare parts to keep these servers running down the road, unless you plan on doing something different.

Good Luck.

P.S. Worse case it could be the motherboard, hoping not, but if it is, spare used units on ebay come in handy and the power supply will fit all the media smart servers so it would not be a waste to have one.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the reply -- I've seen an old post about this company not truly being compatable, but it was from 2009. Anyone know if this is a legit plug and play and if quality is up to par?

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/270-wat ... Supply.php

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The only other group on ebay that I would trust is KDM (I think) I bought one of there power supplies when they first started making them for the media smart servers. The U.K. Group was out for awhile, so was looking for a backup to get the same thing. KDM had a converter short cable that repined the wires. It worked, but it was a little harder to find room for the extra connector, but I did install it and it did work.
I believe they have gotten rid of the extra connector and sell direct replacements now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-350W-HP-MediaSmart-Server-EX470-475-480-485-487-490-495-Power-Supply-Replace-/330800575511?hash=item4d05403417:g:n3AAAOxy2d9SU2r5

And yes, we have to watch out for the ones that just want the money and don't have what you really need.

Good Luck Let us know which way you go and how it's working. It could help others, a lot of us have spares already but some will still be needing them.

I was going to rewire one myself, but just didn't have the time or the tools to do it. So buying one already done was the way to go for me.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
tyrenta
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-350W-HP-MediaSmart-Server-EX470-475-480-485-487-490-495-Power-Supply-Replace-/330800575511?hash=item4d05403417:g:n3AAAOxy2d9SU2r5

I was going to rewire one myself, but just didn't have the time or the tools to do it. So buying one already done was the way to go for me.

Same here -- just don't have the time. I ordered from your link thanks very much -- I'll update once I get it installed....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good to go -- threw in the new PS and it powered right up. All good! I have a full boat + 3 internals so actually nice to have the 350w over the 200w..............

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:44 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Awesome! Glad to hear.
Just a few questions:
1) you have the free smart addin to keep an eye on your drives?
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip
2) you have a backup on-site or off site just in case? Cloud or non-pooled drives are a couple of options.
3) You might want to think about looking on ebay for a spare server as parts down the road may not be available.

Good Luck and enjoy.

P.S. I remote in a couple times a year and do a disk cleanup (on just the C drive) and then defrag (just the c drive) it seems to keep it running smooth.
I also clear out all the event errors. And cleaning with a can of air or a vacuum to keep the dust bunnies away :-)

Thanks