It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well I haven't stopped by here in many years so I must have a problem! :lol:

My original HP470 MSS has just sat out of the way in the loft just doing its thing, backing up the one PC I have left (never was able to get it to backup my Macs when I moved away from PC) running a couple of small websites and probably many other things that I have long forgotten about.

Went to log on the other week but no access, IP not pingable (set to static originally) blue health LED just flashes blue @once per/sec or so and none of the HDD LED's visible not blue, red nothing just dead.

When I reboot I can hear the HDD's spinning up and I can also hear them being accessed for a few minutes as if it is booting but the MSS just sits there blinking its health LED blue and the other two blue LEDS permanently on.

I am guessing this means it is dead to all intents & purposes although the PSU seems OK but one never really knows.

The HP MSS had been connected to a huge UPS for all its life along with some other bits & pieces and has never had a power outage long enough for it to shutdown if that makes a difference?

I do still have access to the original Recovery Discs (and also the later version of WHS that I never installed) if that might make things easier.

I also purchased the headless cable system from cakalapati on here (not sure which Gen?) but never did get round to fitting it and not 100% sure I could lay my hands on it anyway!

It's been so long I can't remember what the process is to troubleshoot and try to bring it back from the dead!

ISTR the system drive is the lower of the 4 x 1TB HDD's I have fitted but can't be certain. In any case they are 'old school' type drives (WD I think) with no fancy formatting/alignment features.

What would be the best way to troubleshoot & determine what the problem is and more importantly can it be fixed without losing any data or services I have running?

I would even be prepared to purchase another used MSS (490 or 510 maybe?) if that was what it took to get it up & running.

I have had a Synology RS812 since 2012 or so (maybe time to upgrade to RS815+ or wait for the 816 Series?) but it would be good to take a look & see if I can resurrect the MSS as it carried out many tasks in its day some of which I might be able to carry over to the Synology and retire the MSS for good. Will be a sad day as I love that little system and was saddened to see support dropped by MS. The backup alone was worth its weight in gold although I never got to try to use it in anger which is usually what sorts the men from the boys!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Second related question...to rule out (or more likely top confirm) a faulty HDD would it be possible to just pull out the HDD's from the EX470 and drop them into an X510 for example and just turn it on?

Assuming of course that the system drive is at the bottom of the stack and it would be easy to ensure the others all slot in the same order and of course assuming the HDD's are good would the EX510 just boot from the EX470 drives?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:20 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Welcome, sorry to hear your having problems. These little server are awesome, but when a power supply goes out (not likely in your case) or a hard drive goes south (more likely in your case) they take some time to fix.

Not losing your data is pretty easy if you had duplication turned on for your shared data.
Each drive can be pulled out and attached to another pc via a usb to sata dock or cables and you can/should run Checkdisk on each drive and then return it from where it came.

My guess is you did not have the Free Smart addin installed that would have told you if one of your drives was going bad so you could have swapped it out before it got so bad it took the system down.

I see two possibilities:
1) bad drive and running checkdisk on them all may get you back up and running long enough to install the smart addin.
2) your main drive is full and or corrupt.

You can not stick all the drives in a x-510 or ex-490 and fire it up, will not work.
You would need to do a recovery with the ex-490 or x-510 disk and while your data would be intact, anything else would most likely be gone as you would get a clean OS.

So, I would suggest you get a usb to sata dock or cables and pull one drive at a time and check them out.
The bottom drive is the OS drive and can only be in that bay, it is a good idea to mark it. The other drives really doesn't matter which bay they are in.

Most likely you are going to have to perform a recovery at some point, your data will most likely be there, but all the extra setup will be gone, so you might want to get ready for that.
If you don't have a backup of your data, proceed with care, the files/folders are hidden on the drives so you will need to go to your folders options / view and select see hidden files and folders.

I am using the WD red Drives 2TB, they are plug and go like the old days. I did have a 1 TB os drive and 2 tb storage drives, but last rebuild I switched to all 2 tb drives to get max storage.

Let us know what you find with your drives and then we can go from there. If you have the room, time you may want to try and backup your shares before the recovery (if needed).

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:12 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for the quick reply Gardian.

As I haven't looked at the WHS in @3 years or so I cannot for the life of me remember which Add-Ins I do have running although I know I have some including Alex's BDBB although I can't even remember how that works now...seems like I've forgotten more than I originally remembered!

Duplication was turned on.

Don't think the main drive would be full as I had plenty of space last time I looked across all of them although if it was busy backing up with no housekeeping from me then it is possible everything could have filled up over the years. There are certainly no odd noises, clicking etc. from any of the drives and as I said I can hear them seeking as the MSS is in the process of booting. Everything sounds normal to me.

So the best way to proceed is to pull each drive individually, dock it and run chkdsk /r from the command line? I have an Icy Dock here somewhere but the only PC I have that is functioning is a Samsung Netbook.

Pity that I can't just plug & play with an X510 as I just bought a brand new one still sealed in its box! Stand by for a flurry of questions when it arrives and I have time to play with it! :wink:

Backing up shares is just a simple matter of docking one HDD at a time, making sure I can see hidden files/folders & physically copying files/folders to the little NetBook?

Server recovery would be my last shot as it would be good to at least see what setup/services etc. are running.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll update this thread as & when I make progress, fail miserably or die trying! :lol:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Good luck on your drive checking and when you are ready to play with the x-510, I have 4 of them, two in-service. :-)

When I say your main drive my be full, I didn't mean the pool partition, I meant the small OS partition where the OS lives. It can fill up with event log errors and old files from windows updates and give you problems if at some point you don't remote in do a disk cleanup and delete all the logs, I defrag "just the C drive" as well, seems to help.

You are correct on copying the files to somewhere else so you will have a backup "maybe your nas has enough room.
The reason we talk about having backups of your data, is the recoveries can go bad, so it's always a good idea to have a backup on-site or the cloud, just in case.

As I said, if you do a recovery, all the extra stuff you have done will most likely be gone, so if you can check the drives and get it fired up long enough to maybe save your sites/etc. before the recovery would be ideal.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

P.S. I would start with the main drive, it does all the work and will most likely be the problem. But the others would follow after it. "if checking the main does not get you back up and running.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks