It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I've pulled my 470 out of the closet and wanted to get it up and running again. My primary and only drive for the startup is a fresh 1tb re2 (wd1002fbys).

This drive was setup to be "seen" on a windows 7 terminal and the smart test and chkdsk was subsequently run on it. Smart & chkdsk pass, 8 hours showing on the drive.

After installing the drive on the 470, at startup I have a solid blue power and network light, but the health light starts solid purple. It will then begin flashing red blue for 5 cycles, solid blue for about 2 seconds, then steady flashing red purple. During this process the drive lights stay off.

Anyone able to offer a suggestion to get this EX booting so I can load in the OS?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, these servers are headless and came with (3) cd's.
1) Server recovery CD
2) Server software CD
3) Client recovery CD which you can download a newer version in iso format.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5587
This you will need some kind of iso burner and a blank CD, once you have created it, mark PC recovery on it and put it with the other 2 cd's, if you lose a harddrive in one of your clients, you will need this cd to bootup on to download the backups from the server.

But, to get your server running, well, you know the 470 is the oldest version of these servers? They still run, but if you are looking to put it on-line and use it, you might want to go to ebay and buy one for spare parts, if you don't have the (3) cd's that came with it, then finding one on ebay with the cd's would be required.

You can't load the server without the cd's or the video adapter, then you could load about anything you wanted.

If you have the 3 cd, this is the short version of how to load it.
Server powered off but attached to the network.
Run the server recovery cd on the first laptop or pc you will be accessing the server with.
It will give you instructions on what to do.
It will tell you at some point to turn on the server, wait for the red/blue/red/blue/red/blue then press and release the tiny button in the tiny hole in the front, this should get you into recovery mode.
If your firewall or antivirus does not get into the way, the transfer of the os will happen over the network and will take about 30-60 mins depending on updates and such.
The server will reboot a couple of times and at some point it will ask for a name of the server and a password.

This should get ya started, loading these servers can be hit or miss, don't be surprised if it doesn't work the first time.

Shout back on how it's going and if you have any problems.

You might want to blow out the server with some canned air or I use a vacuum with the hose on the blow end.

This server in the closet, did you ever have it running and hopefully it is in good shape.
Good luck and wishing you the best.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:39 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Thank you for the quick reply. Not to bash another WHS forum, but it's awesome to see that now 7-8 years later folks here at MSS.net still care about helping out with good advice.

I have all three of the original HP WHS V1.1 disks. I cleaned the unit up and it would boot up an OS when I pulled it out of service. It still runs the original CPU but has 2gb of memory installed. It wont be the fastest in the world, but the WHS terminal backup feature is still hard to beat.

Any preventative maintenance I should consider (ie, new psu, new thermal paste, etc.)? on the install, I'll follow your guidance and reply with the outcome for anyone who has the same questions.

Oh, I almost forgot, I found the ppk3.0 & the 3.3 upgrade on HP's site by looking up the ex470. Will the software still automatic upgrade thru Microsoft update or is that dead now that support is over?

If I find that Microsoft update is not updating any longer, could you comment on how I would do the ppk installs? Are they installed thru a client or would I need to drop the ppk's onto a CD or USB that's plugged into the server itself and remote in for the install?

Lastly, Do I need to find and install ppk2 before I can go to 3.0? I see that 3.3 is a light download so I presume that I'd need 3.0 installed before installing 3.3...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I try to keep watch for people needing help as I was helped a bunch by this site.
Other sites are good, but I believe this one has the most knowledge to be looked up.

It has been a while since I had the 470, I would not worry about doing anything else inside.
When I had a couple of 470's, the first thing that went was the power supply. So even now I keep a couple on the shelf, just in case.
Having a backup system for parts would be good if you plan on using it for awhile. If it is more then just a year or two until you find something else, I would be looking for spare parts. You will note in my Sig that I have (2) extra units setting in the boxes for spare parts, plus I always have the spare power supplies and always have extra new drives.

To PP3.
When PP3 came out I tried to upgrade and it flopped, I don't know why, but I had a hard time with the 470. I ended up doing a clean load with the PP3. And yes all the updates are still out their last I heard.

The PP3 update I remember came as disks and was offered for a limited time. I'm not sure what you found but it may or may not be Just an update or the full version.
I would defer to someone that may remember better then I. I know there are some threads on that update, back in the day.

But, I do remember that PP3 did not give you that much more and I was disappointed that I ended up completely redoing my system for what little I got from it, also, I believe that HP still rolls out an update online once you have it loaded with the original disks that brings it up to 3. I believe, don't quote me. :-)
Either way, both versions will work as well.

The PC backups that you spoke of, I do believe WHS v1 did pc backups the best and still does, but you need to watch out on win7 / win 8 / win 10 pc as they may or may not have the "system Reserved" partition and that needs to be backed up as well.
I had all my pc's setup to just backup the c drive and not the reserved, big mistake, when you restore a pc with just the C you will end up with a drive that is not bootable without the repair/install disk and then you end up using some tools to recreate that small partition, it's a pain, it's a lot easier to just back it up.
Also, if your PC has a recovery partition, I would back that up as well.

My secret is keeping as much data on the server as possible, that keeps the pc backups small and fast and the data on the server, once you turn on file duplication on the folders is safe.

Once your up and running I would recommend two things:
1) Download the free smart addin so you can keep an eye on the drives.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

2) Figure out how you are going to backup your shared data on the server.
The backup of the server data needs to be outside of the server: Cloud, ext. drives, another server or non-pooled drives. But have some kind of a backup, as with any version of windows, things can go bad quickly.

I sync to another server monthly, I also use two non-pooled drives and backup the server 2-4 times a year and I have 1 non-pooled drive I keep offsite just in case of fire/flood/theft.
Backing up the server is as important as backing up the pc's.

Hope this helps, as I said, not sure on your PP3 find, but it was not that big of an upgrade anyway and I believe it will come in as a update from HP anyway. Once your up and running, get all the windows updates and all the HP updates which will take awhile.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:28 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

@Guardian,

I for one want to thank you for your willingness to give back. It's absolutely appreciated. WHS and the Mediasmart are great pieces of equipment that (imho) are much preferable to a cloud storage/backup solution.

So I read your post a few times and reading between the lines decided to pickup some extra hardware. In fact I actually upgraded to a EX480 that had already been upgraded with a E5200 and 2gb of memory. It came with the three V1 disks with pp2 and WHS2011.

I chose the V1 OS and after disabling windows firewall your install directions worked flawlessly first time.

I do seem to have a minor hardware issue though. Lower fan is showing inop on the console. After searching I found a reference or two regarding a defective fan sensor but after verifying visually the upper fan itself is actually inop. So the prior owner has probably done some fan header swapping so the primary drive stays cool.

If I find a bad fan header, worst case I can just use a Y splitter to power the second fan. But in case it's actually a fan, from a EX495 post I found the fans are 80mm, Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and have a 4 pin connector with all 4 pins used. I need to pull the MS apart and figure out exactly what the issue is.

While I'm at it I should probably swap out the power supply. The Overtek ebay store looks like it's gone now. KDM seems to still be selling. Any other options out there?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

KDMPOWER looks like one of the few left still rigging them.
I have purchased one of theirs when they first started, they had an adapter which worked but was a tight fit. I believe they are just one wire now and work well.
Good Luck

Thanks