It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

After a power outage my server restarted but is no longer accessible via remote access or to connect to the shared folders. I am pretty sure this is because the motherboard battery is dead and the clock reset. If the clock is out of sync with the workstation attempting to login, the server will not allow login.

My question is, how can I connect to the server in order to reset the clock, ideally without resetting the whole server?
Is it possible to connect a keyboard and monitor without jumping through a lot of hoops (I don't think so).
Is it possible to set the clock remotely somehow without logging in?

Sort of a drag... Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You say you have a power outage. Few questions:
1) How long have you waited to try to connect?
2) What are the lights doing on the front?
3) Did you have the free Smart addin installed so you know your drives are OK?
4) Have you tried powering it down (press and release the button on the back) let it set for a few seconds then press and release the power button again and see if it comes up?
If it does come up, what are the lights on the front doing? and then I would let it set on for a hour or so and see if you can find it.
It could be the battery, but I'm guessing it is either a Drive or Power supply.

No way to reset the clock without the video adapter that I know of.

Try above and let us know what you are seeing, the lights may tell the tale.
I had a power bump and my server went missing until I hard rebooted it and waited for it to check itself, then it reappeared.

Good Luck!!!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks Gardian.

1. I waited a long time before trying to connect. At least 15 min, and then a second time over an hour.
2. The server lights: power light is on blue. middle light is off, and right side light is on blue (pic attached).
3. I do have the smart add in. I cannot check it now of course, but prior to this issue I did see I have one drive with issues, but it is not the startup/boot drive, it is one of my share drives. There are some bad sectors and I have received some high temp warnings, which I tried to address by opening the server door, blowing out the dust bunnies and that seemed to help.
4. I tried power down and restart a couple times, leaving ample time for startup.

I can ping it as well. I can bring up a login screen from remote desktop connection, but get a message that the pw is invalid. I have verified I am using the correct user and pw (and have tried multiple users and admin user).
The battery is a known issue, but last time this happened I was able to remote in and change the server time to resolve the issue. Hopefully not a power supply issue as well.

Attachments:
IMG_5886.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG [ 118.64 KiB | Viewed 5846 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Great info. It is for sure the network light that in not lit. I am surprised you can ping it or RDP in.
Have you tried using a different cat5 cable? Swapping ends?
Plugging the other end into a different port on the router or a switch? Maybe rebooting your router?

Lastly, what are the Drive light bars doing on the front? Both lit and blue?

I see you have something usb plugged into the front, have you tried with that unplugged?

Very strange, all you can do is switch stuff around and get the basic trouble shooting out of the way....
Fingers crossed it's just a cable or a port.
If not and all the drives are good, you may have no choice but to do a server recovery (not reset) with all the drives attached.
Or buy the video adapter so you can see the screen, might help.

Do you have a backup of your data, just in case? If not, you know you can mark and pull one drive at a time and grab a copy of your data, just would need the room to store it, I sync my data to another server monthly, just in case.
Good luck.....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks