It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Networking slowness
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

For some reason, my EX495 seems to only be running at 100-TX speed (not gigabit) and with weak throughput even for that.

I have a gigabit router and hub with other devices running at gigabit speed. I tried other ports. I tried manually setting the link speed to gigabit on the adapter. I have swapped cables with a device (Synology Diskstation) that was running at gigabit speed. What am I missing?

Have any of you also seen this? I really hope it's not a problem with the NIC - but I'm not seeing dropped packets....just lousy performance (particularly when doing initial backups or in copying large amounts of files).

Thoughts?

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life as we know it. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Networking slowness
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would suspect it is the drives that slow down the connection speed.
at most I would expect around 128 mb/s
Even though it may be a gigabit connection you have the read/write speed of the drives as well as the cpu processor speed,bus speed and what other process is running at the time, as well as what type/size ram is available.

You can easily check the network connection speed of the server via a remote desktop connection.
Then work backwards from there.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Maybe it was just my perception - but my EX475 seemed much faster. The new EX495 has WD Red 2TB drives in it.

Opening task manager, it shows a 100 Mbps link and ~25% utilization when copying picture files from my primary system.

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life as we know it. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 2 cents, I have cat6 cables, a netgear giga router, a netgear giga switches and giga nics.

I have (2) X-510 (same hardware as the ex-490) which have been upgraded (ram/cpu) and when I first bought the cat6 cables and switches I thought I would get some crazy fast speed. I was kindo disappointed, but then I noticed when I was moving my dvd rips from my media center to the server. These files are just under 2 tb each and they transfer in just about 10 seconds, which when I think about it , that is pretty fast.
I also have 3 people streaming videos at the same time with no problems.

It's hard to put a number on it for me, as long as I am not having any problems, it is fast enough for me.

I also agree, even though the Nic is Giga, the cpu and sata bus still can process it only so fast.
Maybe upgrade the cpu, I know the ram upgrade with whs v1 is not really used, but the cpu is a good upgrade...

Hope this helps. Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks