It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

After enjoying having an EX495 running without a hitch for the past several years, about two weeks ago it began having problems. Most likely a disk problem. All of that is for questions regarding resolution on the discussion forum. The situation has caused me to review my entire backup strategy and the continued use of the 495.

I am looking for some ideas from others who have addressed the same issues.

First, I acquired the server for two reasons 1) I wanted some reliable backup which would occur with as little hands-on as feasible and 2) I wanted to store and drive all of our music from a server type platform. Again, with as little hands-on as practical.
The 495 provided all of that and was simple to setup. I use DBPoweramp to get the music files loaded in high-quality format. I acquired a Logitech Squeezebox and Slimserver to drive music to the amplifier. It all works really well. There is now about 60G of music miles stored and easily selectable. While not a tremendous amount, I do not have to handle a CD more than once. It is simple.
Backups just happen. We have several laptops in use and have added newer ones over the past several years. We have had at least one lose a hard drive. I was able to install a newer and larger hard drive in that laptop and restore the system just as it was. It worked beautifully. There have been instances in which files got removed and we were able to easily restore them. Passing data files among us is simple. The media collector gathers up all images and research files we need while doing genealogy research. All of our important data is backed up nicely. As proven, there was absolutely no hassle of rebuilding systems and re-installing software to solve the lost hard drive event. We essentially have our own cloud.

My only concern has been that we do not have offsite backups and there is not at least an extra (third) copy stored anywhere.

The EX495 is an elegant and simple technique to do the data protection that any small pc-busy group could need. And it has more capabilities that we have never used as we do not have a need for them.
I was disappointed that WHS and the idea of home servers by HP and others has seemed to have gone away. It is a tremendous idea. However, pc’s are prone to eventual problems, there is no escaping that.

I may or may not be able to get it properly working again. I may lose some data (my bad.) My biggest concern is where to go from here. Assuming that it will be ok, I absolutely must implement a method for an extra backup. What should that be? Again, I really do not want something that requires a lot of continual hands-on. I can work out the off-site stuff, but in what form?

I do not want to get involved with a license approach using the cloud etc. from the service firms now in business.

I also need to work out a way to drive the Squeezebox, but I may be able to do that from a spare older laptop. Absolutely not as elegant and easy as the server has been.

Also, is Windows 10 going to be compatible with the server in terms of being able to do a restore if the need arises? I am ready for the first pc to migrate to 10, but I am hesitant until I know the server is capable of a restore if it became necessary.

What are other users doing to plan a (reluctant? )move away from the WHS? Are there other server capabilities available at a reasonable cost? Are there canned backup facilities available, again, at a reasonable cost? Since it was so easy to implement the WHS, I have difficulty going backwards, as I see it.

All of that said, I will be asking some questions in a day or so regarding attempting to get the 495 back in proper order. That is another, longer, discussion, I fear.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Many questions that several of us have.
And I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for a direct replacement of the ex49X series.
I will give my 2 cents.
First a third backup.
This can be done now with a port multiplier, such as esata and usb interface to the server.
I would not skimp on a cheap one.
I would find one that supports todays standard with sata3/usb3 and larger drives, so if a resolution is found in the future it can be used on the new system
You will need enough drives to make a backup of your data.
Bear in mind you probably will get away with 3TB drives max for them.
Most of us use the wd reds.
when you add the drives ,instead of adding them to the pool you add them as a backup drive.
They are a little cumbersome to setup but the server will save your settings.
You have to determine what folders goto what drive.
Now this server backup has two issues one is it is a manual start, also it will not backup the pc backups unless you use the addin here called bdbb which can be a folder on the server that you can backup.

As far as new pc's my issue has become the 64bit OS and the prevalent multiple hidden/reserved partitions.
When just viewing the backups and restoring files, that works fine.
When say replacing a drive using the pc restore cd that becomes a issue, disable safe mode,finding a 32 bit driver that will work with the newer integrated nic, getting the usb ports to work without uefi bios and when you restore you need to use the advance option the tell it not to create drive letters for the hidden partitions.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I agree.
I use (2) 2tb red drives and put them in the server one at a time and when it asks what I want to do with it I tell it use for server backup and leave file system in place (this is after you have done it once.
Then pick the folders you want to backup and away you go, I let it finish, then remove it and the install the second 2 tb red drive and do the same thing.
One stays on site and one goes offsite.

For overkill I have a second server with no pc's being backed up on it and I use synctoy to sync the data to a second server.

I will not use the cloud, I don't care how hard Microsoft tries to ram it down our throats. :-)

If one of your backups gets bigger then a 2 tb drive, then you will have to break up the folders on backups, but I'm not at that point yet.

Hope this helps and good luck, great idea having backups of your files!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Any and all ideas are welcome.
In deciding what to do for the future, the first thing I need to know is - Will the WHS properly handle backup and restore of Windows 10? I am planning to move to 10 soon, but this will be important regarding how we do future backups. Even if I can correct the current problems with the 495, its ongoing purpose may change.

I have begun research, very limited so far, into Drobo and ReadyNAS techniques. I have heard of some other things also but know nothing about them. Cost is always an issue also. Although some of our research files are almost irreplaceable without major time consuming effort cost remains a point of consideration.

I am working on a temporary solution to music by loading Squeezebox onto an older laptop. That works fine but I need to get all of the music files in an accessible place. Relatively minor problem at this point.

I am going to start another thread regarding what I need to do to correct the problem on the server. I have it shutdown as of now to minimize any problem until I am certain of proper handling. I am trying to get a handle on how to describe the status of the server so I can get some tips on a good procedure.

In the meantime, thoughts about system backups and Windows 10 and WHS replacements are of significant interest.

Thanks