It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Can't reach my server
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an EX485. Had it since 2009 and it has performed very well. Replaced the power supply two years ago. Upgraded the hard drives but I've never changed out the OS drive.

Recently I haven't been able to reach the server. It seems to be able to communicate periodically. Sometimes I can bring up the Shared Folders, but then it'll hang and lose communication.

I'm not worried about losing all my files because I understand that I can simply hook up the individual drives from the server into another computer and, between the three drives, pull all my files off. I had duplication enabled for all my shared folders.

I am concerned about losing my backups, however.

I would risk doing a server restore as it's my impression that the OS has become somehow corrupted. That being said, I don't know if doing a restore will wipe the files, wipe the backups, or simply reinstall the OS and somehow magically maintain all the backups and files. Furthermore, I did have a couple add-ins and I think, the V3 patch? Not sure if the patches are still able to be installed from HP. Seems like, if memory serves me correct, they were downloaded directly from HP.

I've also tried to reach the server through the web interface, but, no joy.

The lights are on. I do get messages occasionally from the Connector in the System Tray, but I can't log in. The red light is lit up on the front bottom of the server.

What should I do to try to get the server healthy again?

I sincerely thank you for whatever help you can provide.

-Matt

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:43 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I tried to remote into the server, no joy.

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You can perform a recovery with a new OS (bottom Drive) but you have to make sure the rest of the drives are in good shape. 1 bad drive in the set will/can cause the whole thing to stall and fail.

Get a backup of your most important stuff, be it an external drive or cloud. At this point in time you may need to pull the drives and get the data back that way.

The point is you should never get yourself in this spot.

Need to do a recovery (not Reset) with all the drives in place with a new 2tb OS bottom drive and if it failed you could pull the data back from the backups.

But here you are, don't know what shape your drives are in and if all does not go well, you may lose data.

If it was me (and I have been there) I would buy external drive holder (5 bay) and I would pull as much data off the dives as I could. and hope the recovery works.

Good Luck let us know how it goes.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
You can perform a recovery with a new OS (bottom Drive) but you have to make sure the rest of the drives are in good share. 1 bad drive in the set will/can cause the whole thing to stall and fail.

Get a backup of your most important stuff, be it an external drive or cloud. At this point in time you may need to pull the drives and get the data back that way.

The point is you should never get yourself in this spot.

Need to do a recovery (not Reset) with all the drives in place with a new 2tb OS bottom drive and if it failed the you could pull the data back from the backups.

But here you are, don't know what shape your drives are in and if all does not go well, you may lose data.

If it was me (and I have been there) I would buy external drive holder (5 bay) and I would pull as much data off the dives as I could. and hope the recovery works.

Good Luck let us know how it goes.

Will the individual computer backups be saved with a recovery?

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If the recovery is successful you have a good chance they will still be there.
Alex has a addin that would have let you backup the backups, but you have to have a working system to do that.

You also have to have a working system to use the SMART addin to see if the drives are good.

Key word is working system, right now you need to be very careful or you can say goodbye to everything.
I have been there.
I got external harddrives a usb to sata dock and copied all my data to another pc and started over and did a copy back.
I did not care about the pc backups as they were all up and running ok so I could back them up again.
Also, my girls know not to keep anything local on the pc so my backups are small and just a second as I make images of them when they are new, just in case.

Good luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well with a recovery the backups would be lost unless you use the bdbb addin already.
Then you could add them back in from a second location.
Really not a big deal unless you are looking for a current backup to restore.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The bdbb took up so much space I didn't have much room for the rest of my files..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As far as I know the only way to preserve the pc backups is with that addin.
It really is not a big deal usually if you loose them. Unless a specific backup has something that will be lost. After you start over.
Then what other reason would you want a backup for?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, what I do is create a locked initial install if each computer, so when I want to do a reformat, it's a simple matter if restoring that first backup.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Did the recovery, and it's taking hours and hours to get past the "Starting Windows Home Server' page. I've lost all hope that my backups will be there, which is disappointing but you get what you get, I suppose. I do have some ghost images from way back so that should help out quite a bit.

But, like I said, I've been on "Server initializing, please wait..." for over 10 hours now. Is this normal? Is it just recovering all the data on the hard drives?

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:38 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Here's what I'm looking at. Been stuck there for 12 hours. Should I shut the server down and restart it by holding in the power button?

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK, I preformed the recovery a second time. I can remote in to the desktop. It's now stuck on checking for HP MediaSmart software updates. Just sits there with an hourglass. I let it sit overnight and I lost communication with the server.

AND RIGHT AS I'M TYPING THIS, it got past whatever it was stuck on and is now downloading the 2.5xxx update from HP.

I'm impressed that HP still has those files available. I love my little server. It's going to be sad to see it go as I built a Win2012 Server last year, just never got it running as I was quite busy with work. :(

Thanks you guys for your help. I hope this thread helps someone else!

-Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ALL MY BACKUPS ARE THERE!!

Wow. I thought I'd lost 'em!!!

Although, what's curious is that the Operating System is listed as "Windows Vista Unknown. Not sure what to do about that? I guess I'll start another thread.

-Matt

Thanks