It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Did a search here and looked at the post from a ways back.

I installed a new Linksys router and switch recently. I also added an extra share on the server (EX495) and moved all my MP3s from an existing share to the the new share.

I do a backup to a Fantom 2TB ESATA drive connected to the server, so went to "Computers & Backup" in the WHS Console to make sure that the backup included the new share, but the "Configure" button is grayed out.I tried re-installing the WHS Connector but that made no difference.

I don't know why the router change would make a difference (assuming it did)?

Any other thoughts folks?

Thanks,

Kevin

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Typically if a computer is grayed out in the whs console computers&backup tab it means the server can't see that pc/drive.
Since it is a common issue for esata connections to drop out randomly. I would reboot the server and the esata device.
Then see if you can access it again.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi Ruben,

I'll try that BUT I just did a backup (and two deletes of "older" backups from that ESATA drive) to the same ESATA drive this morning...so it should be seeing that drive.

It's grayed out when I right click on my server in the "Computers & Backup" tab (this is where it shows View Backups/Backup Now, Configure Backup, Remove Computer and Turn Off Backups. The top two are OK, the bottom three are grayed out.

See attached JPG.

K

Attachments:
Grayed_Out.jpg
Grayed_Out.jpg [ 59.38 KiB | Viewed 9451 times ]

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:03 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

the esata connection is just a extension of the 4 bays that are already in the server using a port multiplier.
So I don't know what you mean by you can't configure the backups but you can make a backup of the prior config??????

If it is grayed out then you should not be able to make any backup at all.
Because if it is greyed out then you can't select a new backup to create.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Obviously, our posts crossed "in the mail" as I was trying to see what file types the forum allows. JPG was the third one I tried. See the above post.

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:24 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just rebooted the server. It made no difference. The bottom three items under "Your home server" are still grayed out.

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am a little confused on what you have going, but.
Can you see the server with any other pc? do you have another pc connected to it?

I ended up pulling my drives and coping off the data because of a router change. That was back in my ex470 days.

The confusing part is: is the external drive connected as a non-pooled backup the server drive? Or is it in the pool?

Sorry to hear your having trouble, hope you are able to move your data or have a backup as you may be looking at starting over again. #-o

Let us know how it goes... And Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

No, other than seeing the grayed out parts of the Fantom drive (non-pooled drive just used for backup in the house). I also take backups offsite twice a month on separate drives put into the server temporarily, backup taken and removed again.

In all other aspects, everything is working normally.

I can see the server from 3 different PCs (2 desktops and a laptop).

I don't see how a router change would necessitate copying off all data!

The ESATA drive is a non-pooled drive.

As I mentioned I setup another network share and wanted to make sure that it was included in the shares backed up to the ESATA non-pooled Fantom drive.

No need to start again as everything is working (except for that pesky grayed out part <g>).

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, I should have looked at the picture. That looks like a non-pooled drive server backup drive, I have two of them for redundancy.
I have never right-clicked to see what happens, but I don't believe there is anything to configure.
When you click backup, it presents you with a folder list of what you want to backup from the server, that's about it with a non-pooled as far as I knew.

Like I could just pick just the videos and music folders to be backed up to drive A. Then I could put in another non-pooled drive B and select the rest of the folders to be backed up to it.

I think your ok. Unless I'm missing something. I don't know what would be configured on a non-pooled, but it kindof doesn't make sense that they are there and greyed out.

Next time I do my server backups I will try to right click and see what happens.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the connector, again, as far as I knew there is no configuring of non-pooled drives / backups except when you clicked "Backup" and then the list box pops up.

I will try one later and post back this weekend, I need to updates my backups anyway.

Goodluck

P.S. I plug my drive in, backup, then pull it out, then plug in the second backup drive, then pull it out when done till the next time. I backup to two drives once a month.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
kevmeist
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yep, Gardian...I think you are right. Having just added a new network share...I was thinking that "configure backup" was where I added the extra share to backup. But, it is not. It is on the "Backup Now" button to add the share. It's been so long since I added a shrae...that I obviosuly had a memory lapse.

Thanks for pointing that out.

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

NP it good to know about it as I would have been confused if I ever right-clicked it and saw that, weird that they even have that.
Glad everything is OK>
Good Luck
:mss:

Thanks