It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Server died!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:33 am 

About a month ago now, I was working on installing a ceiling fan in my son's bedroom. What does this have to do with my server kicking the bucket,,,,well who knew that the builder of my house would wire an upstairs bedroom and a main level office on the same breaker, while labeling ALL breakers "Lights and Plugs". So when I shut off power to his room I killed power to my server as well. Its on a surge protector but this clearly did not help me. When all was said and done, I was not able to access ANY of the shares on the server, I was not able to log in via the console software. I could however, see the IP address as active on my router and I could PING the server successfully. So now I want to put in a new drive and rebuild this server. I have two disks that came with the server (oh and I bought it used on eBay). But I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resurrect this box from the dead? I would be must grateful. I love this server and really do not want to have to buy another one. A new HDD is much cheaper.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Server died!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You have three choices:
1) mark the bottom drive so it gets back in the bottom bay, the others don't mater. Then you could pull all the drives one by one, attach then to another pc with a usb to sata and run checkdisk on them. Or if you have a large desktop you might even stick one in their one at a time and download the SMART 2015 program and test all the drives.
You might be able to fix the problem by running checkdisk on all the drives. This could take awhile.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Downloads.html

2) I would pickup a 2 tb red drive and if you have the recovery disks, put the new drive in the bottom bay and do a recovery with all the drives in place (not a reset, that will format them all) After the recovery it will take a few hours to get all the updates and remake everything the way it was.

3) Depending if you have a backup of your data. You could do a clean install and do a data copyback.
The drives can be pulled out and the data could be copied to another harddrive depending on how much stuff you have.

If you don't have the recovery disks, then I would watch ebay, a used unit (same as yours) with disks would come in handy for spare parts.

Finally, no server IMHO should be running without the free SMART addin so you will know in advance when your drives are going bad.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks